How to Unlock Xiaomi Phones Bootloader to Install MIUI 12 or Any Other ROM
All Xiaomi phones have the bootloader blocked to prevent installation of ROMs other than those stipulated by the model or to prevent ROOTS on devices, for example. However, Xiaomi does provide a way to unlock said bootloader: without requests, without undue complexity and, yes, with a wait of several days. Always with risks to take: mobiles will be less secure and all information will be erased in the process.
Installing a baked ROM or Chinese firmware with a specific MIUI update are two reasons why many users unlock their Xiaomi’s bootloader. The mark does not prevent advanced use of your devices, although it makes it difficult to avoid the risk of them being blocked by delicate processes, such as « flashing » a ROM. Removing the bootloader lock takes several days to wait and using a tool for Windows. Any Xiaomi owner can do this, but it should be noted that it is definitely worth it before going into business.
Warning: Unlocking the bootloader is a process that can damage your device. If you do decide to do this, make sure you are aware of the risks and accept the potential problems it can cause.
Unlocking the bootloader erases all mobile
To RROOT a Xiaomi, modify the recovery, install a Chinese ROM or one from Xiaomi.eu, it is always necessary to go through the process of unlocking the bootloader. The brand has improved this process to eliminate the need to request the version manually, as was the case in the past: just download the My Unlock app for Windows and wait. This made the process easier, but not reliable: Unlocking the bootloader not only formats the phone but also poses a security risk. From SamaGame Android, we advise you to assess the risks before starting the process: it doesn’t matter to us what may happen to your Xiaomi.
To unlock the bootloader of a Xiaomi mobile, you need a Windows computer (the system can be emulated), a PC program (download Mi Unlock from the MIUI website and install it) and ‘a USB cable. In addition, save anything you think is important on your phone. Photos, contacts, messages and more: Unlocking will reset your Xiaomi factory settings.
Unlocking the bootloader completely erases your Xiaomi: make a backup before starting the process
Once you have everything ready, perform the following steps to unlock the bootloader of your Xiaomi mobile:
- Open Mi Unlock on your computer and log in with your Xiaomi account. It must be the same account registered on the mobile you want to unlock.
- Turn the phone off completely and start it by long pressing the volume up and power buttons. The « fastboot » mode should appear.
- Connect the mobile to the computer via USB and wait for Windows to recognize it and load the correct drives. On the application screen, the “Unlock” button will turn green.
- Click « Unlock » and accept the security warnings. Do not forget that Unlocking the bootloader poses a security risk to your phone.
- Once Mi Unlock has verified that your account and your mobile are suitable, the software will make a request to the Xiaomi servers with the associated device (you no longer have to do this yourself). The hours you have to wait until the bootloader is permanently unlocked (seven days) appear on your computer screen.
My Unlock warns you of the hours you have to wait
- Once the time is up, you can complete the unlocking process. Your mobile will not inform you of this, and Xiaomi will not send you a message because your mobile is already adapted: you must remember this.
- Connect the mobile to the computer, open My Unlock, press the button, accept the warnings and wait for the process to complete. If the waiting time has not expired, the app will tell you how many hours you have left.
- Do not forget: Unlocking the bootloader completely erases your phone data and restores it to default. Make backup copies before unlocking it.
When you have unlocked the bootloader, you will see an open padlock appear when the system boots. The process can be reversed by « fastboot » as long as the installed recovery is the original from Xiaomi: it is advised to lock the bootloader again when you install the new ROM on the phone.