Meltan mission and mystery boxes in Pokémon Go – how to catch Meltan and Melmetal in Pokémon Go and Pokémon Let’s Go
The pokemon Meltan, and its evolution Melmetal are the only two new Pokémon to appear in Pokémon Go and Pokémon Let’s Go through the item mystery box, and they are, in a way, a case without precedent in the franchise: a case of new Pokémon presented without having appeared in the main games or in the television series.
There are two ways we can get Meltan. On the one hand, we can get one through the mission Come on, Meltan! – one of the toughest missions we’ve encountered so far in Pokémon Go – and we can also find it in Pokémon Let’s Go on Switch. The latter is also the simplest option to evolve it into its most powerful form, Melmetal.
On this page we will explain in detail how to get Meltan in Pokémon Go and Pokémon Let’s Go, as well as how to evolve him in Melmetal.
In this page:
How to catch Meltan in Let’s Go, steps of Meltan’s mission in Pokémon Go
Meltan first appeared on November 16, with the launch of Pokémon Let’s Go’s and the appearance of a new research task in Pokémon Go.
Similar to Mew, Celebi and Spiritomb, the Professor will ask us to participate in one of the most difficult tasks to date: capture specific creatures through nine steps to get Meltan.
List of steps to get Meltan:
Come on, Meltan! step 1 of 9
- Spin 5 Gym PokéStops (500 XP)
- Catch 10 Pokémon (500 XP)
- Transfer 5 Pokémon (500 XP)
Step 1 Rewards: x1000 Stardust, x10 Poké Balls, 1 Incubator
Come on, Meltan! step 2 of 9
- Earn 2 candies walking with your partner (1000 XP)
- Make ten great throws (1000 XP)
- Open 3 Eggs (1000 XP)
Step 2 Rewards: x2000 Stardust, x2 Lucky Egg, x1 Rapid Attack MT
Come on, Meltan! step 3 of 9
- Capture a Ditto (1500 XP)
- Win 2 gym matches (1500 XP)
- Take part in two raids (1500 XP)
Rewards for completing step 3: x10 Super Balls, x3 Incense, x3 Max Revive
Come on, Meltan! step 4 of 9
- Catch 5 Steel-type Pokémon (2000 XP)
- Catch 5 Electric-type Pokémon (2000 XP)
- Earn 5 candies walking with your partner (2000 XP)
Rewards for completing step 4: x4000 Stardust, x5 Pinia Berry, x5 Rare Caramel
Come on, Meltan! step 5 of 9
- Evolve a Grimer (2500 XP)
- Catch 5 Slugma or Gulpin (2500 XP)
- Make 20 Great Throws (2500 XP)
Rewards for completing step 5: x5000 Star Dust, x20 Super Balls, x5 Bait Modules
Come on, Meltan! step 6 of 9
- Evolve a Magnemite (3000 XP)
- Catch 5 Exeggcute (3000 XP)
- Participate in 10 raids (3000 XP)
Rewards for completing step 6: x1 Silver Pinia berry, x1 Rev. Metallic, x10 Ultra Ball
Come on, Meltan! step 7 of 9
- Evolve 1 Drowzee (3500 XP)
- Catch 1 Cubone (3500 XP)
- Evolve 1 Scyther (3500 XP)
Rewards for completing step 7: x10 Ultra Balls, x1 Charged MT, x3 Premium Raid Pass
Come on, Meltan! step 8 of 9
- Catch 2 Omanyte or Kabuto (4000 XP)
- Catch 2 Lileep or Anorith (4000 XP)
- Catch an Aerodactyl (4000 XP)
Rewards for completing step 8: x8000 Star Dust, Meltan encounter, x1 Star Chunk
Come on, Meltan! step 9 of 9
- 4500 XP
- 4500 XP
- 4500 XP
Rewards for completing step 9: x9000 Star Dust, x1 Super Incubator, x5 Meltan Candy
How to catch Meltan in Pokémon Go using the mystery box
If you want to catch Meltan without completing this mission, or you just want more candy to evolve into Melmetal, there is a way to do it through Pokémon Let’s Go on Nintendo Switch.
Here is a step-by-step explanation:
How to catch Meltan in Pokémon Go using Pokémon Let’s Go
How to catch Melmetal ie Pokémon Go
Catching Melmetal is quite simple, because we can only do it by evolving a Meltan. It costs 400 candies to evolve, so you will have to repeat the process a few times.
Once we have enough Meltan candies, simply select the option to evolve in the Pokémon, and Melmetal will be yours.
How to get Meltan in Pokémon Let’s Go – and how to evolve him in Melmetal
The only way to get Meltan in Let’s Go is to transfer him from Pokémon Go!
In the Switch game, there is no way to catch it, so we will have to get it in Pokémon Go, and then trade it.
Also, there is no way to evolve Meltan to Melmetal once we have transferred it to Let’s Go.
Since trades only work in one direction – that is, you cannot return Pokémon that you transfer from Pokémon Let’s Go back to Pokémon Go, nor transfer Pokémon from Let’s Go to your Pokémon Go game, this means that if you want Melmetal in your game of Pokémon Let’s Go, you will have to evolve it first and then transfer it.
Things to know about the mystery box, Meltan, and Melmetal
How the mystery box works in Pokémon Go
- You can only get the mystery box – once you have transferred a Pokémon from Pokémon Go to Pokémon Let’s Go for the first time. It will remain in your inventory permanently after that.
- The mystery box can only be opened once a week – when you press the open button, you will have to wait seven whole days to try again.
- You have to transfer a Pokémon from Go to Let’s Go every time you want to open it, so once those seven days are up, transfer another Pokémon.
- The mystery box only affects you in Pokémon Go, – and it basically works like a special kind of incense. Meltan will only appear for you, not for the players around you at the time.
How Meltan and Melmetal work, and things to know about them
- Meltan is interchangeable – between Pokémon Go accounts.
- The Meltan number that appears on each mystery box is fixed. It seems to be from ten Meltan throughout the thirty minutes.
- Meltan is very little! Sometimes it can be difficult to see in crowded areas of PokéStops or gyms.
- You cannot increase the frequency of appearance: baits and incenses don’t work.
- You can have more than one Meltan or Melmetal.
- You can get candy from Meltan by transferring it to Pokémon Let’s Go
- Meltan can be placed in gyms or as a companion in Pokémon Go
Good luck with the catch!