[REVIEW] : Nvidia Shield: a new update deployed to fix Android 11 bugs
Earlier this year, Nvidia had rolled out the new Android 11 version of Google’s operating system to all Shield TV models, including the 2015 one. cloud gaming GeForce NOW in 4K, this update had introduced a lot of bugs in the system. This prompted Nvidia to release an emergency patch, but it did not eliminate all the bugs.
Now, almost 4 months after the deployment of Android 11 on Shield TVs, they are seeing a new update arrive which should fix most of the remaining bugs. She wears the number of 9.0.2and should be available to everyone in the next few days.
WHAT BUGS HAVE BEEN FIXED IN SHIELD EXPERIENCE 9.0.2?
According to the changelog of the update, it brings in particular improved file transfer speeds while fixing various bugs related to external storage. In addition, Shield Experience 9.0.2 adds “helpful notifications when connecting or formatting removable storage”, without further details.
Finally, we learn that those who encountered pairing issues between your Shield and Bluetooth controllers (like those of the Switch, Xbox or PlayStation) should no longer have any problems with this new version. Here’s a recap of all the changes coming with the 9.0.2 update.
- Added Plex support for latest Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD DVB-T tuner (EU only)
- Added useful notifications when connecting or formatting removable storage media.
- Fixed a bug where AI upscaling could not be changed in the Netflix app.
- Fixed an issue where other video apps were using the refresh rate set in Kodi.
- Adds “Default to Rec. 709 for HD videos” to improve the color of videos (enabling this option may cause crashes in applications like Apple TV+ or Paramount+).
- Fixed issues with audio stuttering on Bluetooth or USB headsets when Dolby audio processing is enabled.
- Fixed a bug where the surround upmixer stopped working after playing Dolby audio streams.
- Fixed audio issues when connecting a headset to SHIELD 2015 controller
- Improves file transfer speeds
- Fixed a bug when copying files over the local network from a Mac to removable storage on SHIELD.
- Fixed a bug where migrating data from internal storage to adopted storage would hang indefinitely.
- Fixed an issue where files copied over the local network are not visible until after restarting SHIELD.
- Fixed an issue where the Dolphin Emulator would not write to the NAS
- Fixed an issue where SD card notification was showing when launching apps
- Fixed an issue where the documents interface cannot access external storage folders.
Update (9.0.2) brings fixes to NVIDIA Shield TVs
NVIDIA Shield TV multimedia boxes are entitled to a new update. After the Shield Experience 9.0 update released last January which brought several new features including Android 11, here is now version 9.0.2.
This does not really bring new features but rather aims to correct a lot of problems as can be seen in the changelog below.
Note that the Shield Experience 9.0.2 update is available for the Shield TV (2015), Shield TV (2019) and Shield TV Pro (2019) boxes, but apparently some fixes are specific to the 2019 range.
- Adds Plex support for the latest Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD DVB-T tuner (EU only)
- Adds useful notifications when connecting or formatting removable storage
- Fixed a bug where AI scaling could not be changed in the Netflix app
- Fixed a bug where other video apps would use the refresh rate set in Kodi
- Added developer option “Default to Rec. 709 for HD videos” to improve video color (enabling may cause crashes in apps like Apple TV+ or Paramount+ app)
- Resolves audio crackling issues on Bluetooth or USB headsets when Dolby audio processing is enabled
- Fixed a bug where the surround mixer would stop working after playing Dolby audio streams
- Fixes audio issues when connecting headset to SHIELD 2015 controller
- Improves file transfer speeds
- Fixed a bug when copying files on local network from Mac to removable storage on SHIELD
- Fixes bug where migrating data from internal storage to adopted storage would hang indefinitely
- Fixes issue where files copied over LAN are not visible until SHIELD is restarted
- Resolves issue where Dolphin Emulator would not write to NAS
- Resolves issue where SD card notification is displayed when launching apps
- Fixes issue where Documents UI cannot access external storage folders
- Resolves Dual Shock 3, XBOX One S, XBOX Series S/X and Switch Pro controller pairing issue
- Fixes issue where XBOX 360 controllers would send D-Pad commands twice
- Fixes issue where Bluetooth headsets would not be disconnected in standby after activating the feature
- Fixes some cases where SHIELD would not sleep when issuing a command over HDMI-CEC
- Fixes crashing issue with Google Play games
- Fixed a bug affecting streaming on Twitch using NVIDIA Share
- Fixes “Failed to insert database” bug when recording video with NVIDIA Share
- Resolves issue when capturing screenshots in GeForce NOW using NVIDIA Share
- Resolves issue where the Channels app’s DVR feature was not recording properly
- Fixed a bug on the Mouse Toggle app where the select button was not detected
- Fixed a bug where the system would hang when going to the home screen after “matching frame rate” in Kodi
- Fixes crash caused by database issues on apps like CW, Atresplayer and SVT Play
- Resolves localization issue with Canadian language selection of energy start timers
Note that the Shield Experience 9.0.2 update does not seem to be free of worries, since the manufacturer has already announced that several problems are incumbent on this version:
- Reconnection issues on XBOX Elite 2 controllers
- Free space reports incorrect use of SMB server functionality in SHIELD
- AI upscaling not working when streaming GeForce NOW 1080p HDR content
- Resolution is limited to 1080p when using ADB for screenshot
- Unable to sign in to Google or Netflix accounts when using a restricted profile
- Changed mapping (stretched vs black bars) of 16:9 content to 16:10 display behavior from 8.2.3
- When the refresh rate switch is enabled with the network debugging function, pop-ups asking permission from the device to the network debugger appear randomly
- NowTV casting issue
- Pairing and key mapping issues with the Razer Serval Bluetooth Controller
SHIELD TV gets Beverly Hills (9.0.2) upgrade, mostly bug fixes
NVIDIA has released an update for TV SHIELD owners this morning labeled as 9.0.2 Upgrade Experience. As you’ll find out, it’s mostly filled with bug fixes, but very quickly, can we continue to give NVIDIA props for the way it supports these devices? Seriously, this goes beyond next-level software support for an Android TV box.
The changelog is quite comprehensive, so I decided to pull a few things from it and place them. Highlights of this one include improved file transfer speeds, notifications when connecting or formatting removable storage, fixed AI scaling bug, as well as a Controller pairing issue has also been resolved.