Microsoft buys ZeniMax Media, and therefore Bethesda, id Software et Arkane Studios among other things, it’s the news of the year in the video game industry. Sagas such as DOOM, Fallout or The Elder Scrolls are well known and now, after this acquisition, they are part of Xbox game studios.
This doesn’t mean that overnight all of these sagas will become exclusive for Xbox platforms, of course, but yes open the door that some of the new IPs that may be developed by these studies are. In that sense, it looks like Xbox will assess each particular case individually.
In the meantime, what Microsoft assures is to be able to offer the entire ZeniMax catalog, current and future, on your Xbox Game Pass service. Which is wild, especially if they include them at launch as they already do with all of their games. Xbox game studios.
After this move, let’s take a look at the current photo to see which studios are part of both Microsoft and Sony and what games they have exclusively.
Let’s first take a look at the list of studios that Microsoft has purchased over time that are currently in Xbox game studios:
- Constraint games (acquired by Microsoft in 2018) – It’s a small studio that has so far only developed two games: Contrast and We Happy Few. Both are cross-platform.
- Double Fine Productions (acquired by Microsoft in 2019) – With Tim Schafer at the helm, the studio has a large catalog of games ranging from Psychonauts to Brütal Legend to Broken Age. His next game, already under the umbrella of Xbox Game Studios and slated for 2021, is Psychonauts 2 and will be multiplatform.
- InXile entertainment (Acquired by Microsoft in 2018) – This is the studio founded by Brian Fargo and in its catalog we have games like Torment: Tides of Numenera or the last two games from Wasteland. All multiplatforms.
- Studios Mojang (acquired by Microsoft in 2014) – These are the creators of Minecraft and the newer Minecraft Dungeons, which is cross-platform.
- Ninja theory (acquired by Microsoft in 2018) – They have authentic gems such as Enslaved: Odyssey to the West, DmC: Devil May Cry or Hellblade to their credit. Since its acquisition by Microsoft, they have only released games for PC and Xbox. His next work, Hellblade 2, will be released for Windows and Xbox.
- Obsidian entertainment (Acquired by Microsoft in 2018) – These True Titans are responsible for Star Wars: KOTOR II, Fallout New Vegas, and the two Pillars of Eternity. His next games, Grounded and Avowed, will be released on PC and Xbox.
- Playground games (acquired by Microsoft in 2018) – These are those of the Forza Horizon saga and the next Fable. Only games for Xbox and PC platforms.
- Rare (acquired by Microsoft in 2002) – Rare is one of the oldest studios purchased by Microsoft. They’ve been making games since the mid-80s, when they kept releasing games for the NES, and they’re the creators of sagas like Battletoads or Killer Instinct. Since 2005, and with the exception of a few games for Nintendo DS, they have only developed for PC and Xbox.
- Undead Laboratories (acquired by Microsoft in 2009) – They are responsible for the State of Decay saga and only develop for PC and Xbox. For now, they have no more games to their credit than the two existing State of Decay and the future State of Decay 3.
- Médias ZeniMax, a group that brings together all these studios: Alpha Dog, Arkane Studios, Bethesda, id Software, MachineGames, Roundhouse Studios, Tango Gameworks and ZeniMax Online Studios (acquired by Microsoft in 2020) – And here is the latest purchase thanks to which the catalog of all these studios, along with sagas like DOOM, Fallout, The Elder Scrolls, Dishonored, Wolfenstein and many more, just happen to be from Xbox Game Studios.
Here we will have to see what future games Xbox decides to stay exclusively and those it maintains as cross-platform, but it is highly likely that future installments of the big sagas will continue to be cross-platform.
The rest of Microsoft’s in-house studios only release exclusive games for the Xbox and PC platforms, of course, and they are as follows:
- 343 Industries, responsible for the Halo saga.
- Coalition, the creators of the Gears of War saga.
- L’initiative. For the moment we do not know what will be his first project.
- Turn 10 Studios, responsible for the Forza Motorsport saga.
- Edge of the world, whose mission is to help develop the Age of Empires saga.
Here is the list of studios that Sony has purchased and maintains to this day:
- Studio Bend (acquired by Sony in 2000) – Before being acquired by Sony, the creators of Siphon Filter released all of their games exclusively for PlayStation. His latest work to date is Days Gone.
- Guerrilla games (Acquired by Sony in 2005) – The makers of the Killzone series haven’t left the PlayStation since 2006, but their Horizon Zero Dawn for PS4 was released in 2020 for PC. The sequel is slated for PS4 and PS5 in 2021.
- Insomniac games (Acquired by Sony in 2019) – Insomniac’s catalog is crazy: the Spyro, the Ratchet, the Resistance… Since Sony bought the studio, they’ve only released Marvel’s Spider-Man on PS4 and they have both Marvel on the way. Spider-Man Miles Morales for PS4 and PS5 as new Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart for PS5.
- Average molecule (acquired by Sony in 2010) – They have only released games for PlayStation platforms, with Dreams being their latest work, and for now, it looks like they will continue to do so.
- The evil dog (acquired by Sony in 2001) – Crash Bandicoot, Jak and Daxter, Uncharted, The Last of Us… all the essential sagas and all for PlayStation systems.
- Productions Sucker Punch (acquired by Sony in 2011) – With the exception of their first Rocket: Robot on Wheels game which they developed for the N64, they have always worked for PlayStation platforms. They are the creators of Sly Cooper, Infamous and in 2020 they released Ghost of Tsushima for PS4.
Unlike the case of Xbox, where several games from its own studios are also released on PC, Sony exclusives stay on console. The only exception, for now, is the Horizon: Zero Dawn from Guerrilla Games.
On the other hand, these are internal Sony studies:
- Japan Studio – They’ve been developing games since the mid-90s with a handful of studios, their catalog is huge. We see sagas like Arc the Lad, Wild Arms, Gravuty Rush, Knack and many more.
- London studio – Throughout their careers, they’ve focused a lot on Singstar and EyeToy, but in their later works they’ve gotten fully into virtual reality with PlayStation VR Worlds and Blood & Truth.
- Pixelopus – They are the creators of Entwined and Concrete Genie.
- Digital polyphony – The mastodons who created the Gran Turismo saga.
- San Diego Studio – The branch more focused on sports games with sagas like NBA and MLB.
- Studio San Mateo – Basically they helped in the development of games like Naughty Dog’s Uncharted saga, Insomniac’s Resistance, and even Marvel’s Spider-Man.
- Studio Santa Monica – His are the God of War from 2005 to the present day and the next Ragnarok, so they need little introduction.
You’ll need to be on the lookout for Microsoft’s next moves on anything you’ve bought with Médias ZeniMax.
Source : Gadgetsnow