all the news and how to update.
We bring you a list with all the news that comes with the October 2020 Update of Windows 10, in which we are going to explain the main changes so that you understand them. This is the last major update that add new features to the operating system every six months.
Precisely, one of the biggest news of this update is that there is almost no news, since Microsoft has preferred to focus on a few than trying to get a wide range of them. Even so, we are going to explain what there are, which are mainly cosmetic changes and some new additions to Microsoft Edge.
The start menu now has a translucent background, including in the tiles of the applications you have placed on it. This means that its color will change depending on the wallpaper you have, making it better integrated into the themes that you can apply to the operating system.
This offers several design advantages. On the one hand, that it is translucent gives it a bit more modernity. Moreover, its color will always adapt to the elements behind it, being different if you open it on a white browser window than if you do it with the wallpaper. Everything is slightly transparent, although not much, including the different shades of colors that may be in your background.
The taskbar also changes
Microsoft has modified the default look of the taskbar, which now has new icons and accesses depending on the context of each new user, showing for example the applications of Your Phone or Xbox if you have an Android or a linked console. The tactile experience is also favored to make it more comfortable to use.
In addition to this, and related to the aesthetic changes of the start menu, the accent color is now applied to the taskbar as well in addition to the start and the activity center. It can also be applied to the title bars and window borders. These options are in the Settings, within the Personalization section, in the Colors section.
New improvements in Microsoft Edge
Microsoft releases new versions of Microsoft Edge every six weeks, but in this new update there is also news. The most important is that Edge integrates into Windows Alt + Tab shortcut. This means that when you press these keys, you will not only see a preview with the windows open as before, but also all the tabs you have in Edge will be included.
In addition, and already thinking about the next shopping seasons, the Edge collections now implement a native price comparer, so that when you add an item to a collection, you can compare its price with that of other stores. However, this feature is currently thinking for American online stores, and in the Spanish ones it still does not compare anything.
Control the refresh rate in Windows
Microsoft has included an option to determine the refresh rate in Windows 10. In this way, if you have monitors with higher refresh rates, you can choose to use the highest refresh rate possible in Windows or lower it a bit to lose speed but make the experience more “normal”. The speeds you can choose from will depend on each monitor.
These options are a bit hidden. To find them, you have to enter Windows Settings, and there enter the System section. In the left column, go to the Screen section, and there click on the Advanced screen settings option that will appear below the point of Several screens. The refresh rate is here called the Refresh Rate.
The refresh rate is the number of images per second that your monitor will display. Come on, in the same period of time you can make it show more images, something that will make all animations look faster provided that the applications or the operating system are adapted to show a higher refresh rate, and always also that the monitor can offer a higher amount.
Amputations begin in the Control Panel
The Control Panel is one of the elements that has been maintained in Windows for many years and versions, so much so that right now it means having duplicate options with respect to the configuration. But this is beginning to change, and Microsoft you have disabled the System section of the Control Panel.
The option is still there, the panel itself has not been modified, but its content. This means that when you enter the control panel, if you click on System you will be taken to Windows Settings, specifically to the About section with the information of your device.
It is still too early to know if this change is the real beginning of the amputations to begin to progressively get rid of the old control panel, or if it is a one-off change. To find out, we will have to wait for future updates.
Other minor news
And in addition to these main news, the new big Windows 10 update also leaves us with some other minor news. Here you have all the news in a summarized way so that you do not miss any.
- Xbox Game Pass comes to the Microsoft Store: The video game flat rate is no longer in beta in its PC version, and now you can download it from the official application store. Remember that from Christmas, EA Play will also be included in Game Pass.
- Changes to notifications: Now the notifications will have an icon of the app that generated them, to make it easier to identify them. They will also be easier to clean with a new ‘X’ button.
- Concentration assistant improvements: If you have it activated to hide notifications when you are playing or using full-screen apps, it will no longer show warning notifications of any kind, and when you exit full screen it will give you a summary of your notifications.
- Improvements in pinned pages in the taskbar: Now, when you hover your mouse over its icons, you will see all the tabs from that page. Therefore, if you have a web anchored and it is open in several tabs or windows, by hovering the mouse you will be able to locate them quickly.
- 2-in-1 enhancements: These devices will now automatically switch to tablet mode when you disconnect their keyboard, without a notification appearing asking you to do so so you don’t have interruptions in your user experience.
- Control your Samsung mobile from Windows: This option started to arrive recently, and is now ready for everyone. The Your phone application, if you have a Samsung mobile linked, will allow you to run its apps. It remains to be seen when it arrives for the rest of the mobiles.
- Improvements for educational and professional versions: MDM now includes policies for local users and groups so that administrators can change them. The security of the biometric login and Windows Defender applications is also improved.
- Security improvements and bug fixes, although this is always normal in any version and new bugs can always appear with the features that have been added.
How to update to this new version
The Windows 10 October 2020 Update will arrive as if it were a normal operating system update. Therefore, to install it you will have to do it like the other updates, and that starts by waiting for it to update itself or enter windows settings. You can do this with the cogwheel icons that are both in the activity center that you see in the screenshot and in the start menu.
Once in Windows Settings, click on the Windows Update option that appears at the top right to go directly to the updates. When you enter the updates window, An indicator should appear showing you have a Feature Update, specifically the 20H2. In this notice, click on the Download and install option which appears just below your explanation.
And if all this fails, you have to go to the official Windows 10 download website, where at the top you can already see a section May 2020 update of Windows 10. All you have to do is click on Update now and you will download an update wizard to complete it.
In this update there are hardly any changes in terms of requirements necessary to use it. These are the minimum specifications that your computer needs to have to be able to do it:
- 1 GB of RAM for the 32-bit versions or 2 GB of RAM if we use a 64-bit version.
- 32 GB of space when updating from Windows 10 May 2019 Update.
- 1 GHz (x86) processor with PAE, NX, SSE2 and support for CMPXCHG16b, LAHF / SAHF and PrefetchW.
- Screen resolution of 800 x 600 pixels.
- Graphics card compatible with DirectX 9 and WDDM 1.0 or higher.