Call of Duty: Modern Warfare | Details on multiplayer modes, weapon customization, combat and more.
- The post below comes from the PlayStation Blog
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare | Beta is announced; dates, platforms and details
- Your Equipment Defines Your Style of Play
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare | Check out the gameplay of a multiplayer match
- A New Level of War
- Robust variety of Multiplayer Modes
- See too:
The post below comes from the PlayStation Blog
Titles are full of meaning, and Activision has said a lot with Call of Duty: Modern Warfare. The name evokes the sublime Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare by Infinity War, which is among the most influential FPS of all time.
Activision proved, during a recent game testing event, that Modern Warfare has more in common with its predecessor than just the title. It seeks in a similar way to take the genre to another level with impressive visuals and audios, much more equipment customization and weapons that immortalized Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare.
Activision kicked off the event with a mission – to bring a uniform experience to all Modern Warfare players. There will no longer be a Season Pass, and everyone will receive maps and other content for free after launch. The multiplatform system increases the player base by allowing console and PC users to face each other (with customization options to choose to face players with keyboard and mouse or control).
The promise of a more integrated and intense experience in Modern Warfare is attractive, and this is proven in the incredible gameplay of Infinity Ward.
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare | Beta is announced; dates, platforms and details
Your Equipment Defines Your Style of Play
Modern Warfare is an exciting return to the core gameplay that made COD4: MW legendary. The most impactful change is the general customization of equipment and weapons according to your style of play.
Operators still exist as cosmetic options with incredible visuals and fun voices (whether you’re an apocalypse trainer or an aggressive resistance fighter), but you won’t be using your special abilities with cooldowns. Instead, you will have customization options that will allow you to modify firearms with unbelievable possibilities.
Want a shotgun with a sniper rifle sight or a Light Machine Gun with a laser sight with a three-shot blast? Go ahead. Alternate between 30 to 60 nozzles, sights, lasers and Perks (I want quick reload!), And more on each weapon that initially looks a little scary, but the customization menu makes the exchange options clear. Perhaps that fifth accessory that hinders your mobility is not worth it after all.
Customization expands far beyond weapons. The Killstreaks returned with cathartic revenge. The favorites like UAV, Medical Package and the decisive Juggernaut have returned. Get eight consecutive kills to unlock new tools like the Infantry Assault Vehicle, a light tank that can be piloted by one player while the other shoots with a .50 caliber weapon at the top. Powerful improvements such as disabling ammunition and a reconnaissance drone to locate enemies are available after a certain amount of time has passed.
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare | Check out the gameplay of a multiplayer match
Player Perks also provide useful passive benefits such as tracing footsteps from nearby enemies or retaining Killstreaks credits even after death. The variety of options shows that the goal of Infinity Ward is to enable any style of play in Call of Duty, be it with sniper rifle, run and shoot, support the team or even play as a camper.
A New Level of War
Infinity War’s obsession with authentic and impactful gameplay transports players into the battlefield. The Call of Duty series is known for its excellent production value and yet Modern Warfare manages to improve the animation and audio of the FPS in an impressive way.
The minimap is not present by default, but must be earned through Killstreaks rewards. Instead, a small compass at the top of the screen indicates the location of an enemy. My eyes were glued to the action of the game, no longer distracted to look at the minimap every second. My ears were also more active to get more information about the enemy’s position, and this was possible thanks to the incredible levels of audio fidelity. Focusing our attention on rifle shots and noisy steps makes the enemy’s location more satisfying and satisfying.
Improvements in animation also help immersion players. The more realistic weapon recoil makes shotguns appear to hurt your shoulder. Slaughtered enemies drop their weapons as they fall, adding a nice visual touch.
Robust variety of Multiplayer Modes
Activision introduced us to some Modern Warfare modes, ranging from the well-known team kill to short-distance fights. We highlight:
- 2v2 Shooting – One of the new and more addictive modes of Modern Warfare is also the simplest revealed for Multiplayer to date. Doubles face each other in intense and short matches with cyclic weapon arsenals on compact maps. Wasn’t I expecting to fight with just a .50 pistol with aim and a stunning grenade? Surprise! The result is an exciting, unpredictable and competitive way.
- 6v6 Cyber Attack – A round-based mode in which each player has only one life. Win by planting an EMP device near the enemy’s data center. The high-risk objective and the emphasis on teamwork makes each exciting round fly by.
- Headquarters 10v10 – A King of the Hill-style mode in which teams track HQs scattered across the map, dominating them to earn points towards victory. The constant journey across the map provides an intoxicating mix of open-air shootings and close-quarters fighting in defense of HQs. Rebirths are disabled for the team that is defending a captured HQ, which, combined with the removal of the minimap during the event, creates moments of intense action.
- Domination 20v20 – The game with the largest number of participants revealed so far in Modern Warfare has 40 players in total. The team confirmed that they are looking to support more than 100 players in this large-scale mode. We compete in the extensive Aniyah Palace – a ruined historic building surrounded by labyrinth-like walls and open spaces. Fighting for the five control points with your team becomes a frantic race towards victory. Modern Warfare’s tactical racing option – which provides an extra boost of speed while leaving you vulnerable – is very useful in this mode.
Modern Warfare’s multiplayer presentation shows that Infinity Ward seeks to take the essential formula that made the series a success to new heights. That’s enough to count the days until the October 25 launch for PS4, and we haven’t even played single player or Spec Ops yet.
Fortunately, fans of the franchise will be able to test weapon compositions and play the Multiplayer Beta soon.