The Evo Online 2020 tournament has been called off after allegations of sexual misconduct against company boss Joey “MrWizard” Cuellar.
After the allegations became known, the companies, players and casters canceled their participation, which ultimately led to the cancellation of the entire event. In addition, Cuellar was fired.
Cuellar has been accused of sexual misconduct against several teenagers, another member of the community supported the allegations and showed inappropriate comments from Cuellar, which he sent via Twitter.
During this operation, NetherRealm, Capcom and Bandai Namco had canceled their participation in this year’s event, as well as various players and casters such as SonicFox and Stephen “Sajam” Lyon.
In response to this and the allegations, organizers had completely canceled the event last night and announced that Cuellar was no longer involved “with immediate effect”.
“We are currently working on his complete separation from the company and we have released him from all his responsibilities,” a statement said. “In the future, Tony Cannon will act as CEO. In his role he will take a leadership role prioritizing greater responsibility at Evo both internally and at our events. “
One was “shocked and sad” by the allegations. “We are committed to making the changes necessary to make Evo a better model for the stronger and safer culture that we all seek,” write the organizers.
Anyone who purchased badges for Evo Online 2020 will get their money back. In addition, donations are made to the Project HOPE organization.
The fighting game community is currently reeling from numerous allegations, including sexual misconduct, rape and pedophilia.
Allegations have been made against Nairoby “Nairo” Quezada, Richard “Keitaro” King and Cinnamon “Cinnpie” Dunson, accused of sexual relations with minors, while D’Ron “D1” Maingrette is charged with rape.
King and Quezada apologized for their statements, as did Maingrette – he says he no longer remembers what happened. Last year, Dunson denied rumors of an alleged relationship with the person who accused her. So far, she has not commented on the new allegations.
“At Nintendo, we are deeply concerned about the allegations made against certain members of the competitive gaming community,” the company told IGN. “They are absolutely unacceptable. We want to make it clear that we condemn all acts of violence, harassment and exploitation against everyone and work with the victims. ”
– EVO (@EVO) 3 July 2020
We stand in solidarity with those who spoke out against abuse. We will be removing MK11 from EVO Online.
– NetherRealm (@NetherRealm) 2 juillet 2020
– Capcom Fighters (@CapcomFighters) 2 juillet 2020
– BANDAI NAMCO ESPORTS (@BNEesports) July 3, 2020
Source : Twitter Feeds