The new Pixel 7 will not be launched until autumn, but today there are more details about the integrated camera.
Google Pixel 7: New camera details
Last year, Google made differences in the front camera area of the Pixel 6 and Pixel 6 Pro. On the one hand with the hardware, but also with the software. 4K for recordings with the front camera is only available with the Google Pixel 6 Pro. Google has revised this strategy, as the latest version of the camera app can already reveal today. 4K should also be available for the regular Pixel 7, as can already be seen from the existing source code.
Google Camera: New software reveals exciting details
It goes even further, as reported by a teardown at 9to5Google. The colleagues say that the front camera in the Google camera has been assigned the same tag for both Pixel 7 models. This suggests that the camera sensor is the same in both devices and therefore has the same features. Which gives us hope for other things.
Face Unlock possible for both Pixel 7?
Google only intended Face Unlock for the Pixel 6 Pro because it has the better front camera. If the Pixel 7 and Pixel 7 Pro each have the same good camera technology, there could be Face Unlock for both models. At least that’s my hope at this point, but it’s far from proven. Google hasn’t rolled out Face Unlock to the Pixel 6 Pro to date, but it’s still on the way.
Google has not yet revealed any exact hardware details for the Pixel 7 and Pixel 7 Pro. Therefore, we do not know whether both devices might just get the front camera of the Google Pixel 6 Pro. Or whether it might be completely new hardware to take another step forward. We’ll have to wait for more leaks or official information.
Pixel 7 and Pixel 7 Pro technical details:
- 6.3 inch (90 Hz) gOLED display, Gorilla Glass 7 (Pixel 7)
6.7 inch (120 Hz) pOLED display, Gorilla Glass 7 (Pixel 7 Pro)
- Google Tensor G2 processor, 5 nm manufacturing
- 128 or 256 GB storage (not expandable)
- 8 GB RAM memory (Pixel 7)
12 GB RAM memory (Pixel 7 Pro)
- 4,355 mAh battery, fast charging, wireless charging (Pixel 7)
5,000 mAh battery, fast charging, wireless charging (Pixel 7 Pro)
- 50 MP OIS camera, 12 MP ultra wide angle (Pixel 7)
50 MP OIS camera, 48 MP telephoto (5x – 30x zoom), 12 MP ultra wide angle + macro function (Pixel 7 Pro)
- 11 MP front camera for 4K videos and Face Unlock
- New Super Res Zoom and more – major camera update
- Fingerprint sensor in the display, IP68, eSIM, Titan M2 security chip, stereo speakers
- Colors: Obsidian, Snow, Lemongrass (Pixel 7)
Colors: Obsidian, Snow, Hazel (Pixel 7 Pro)
- 155.64 x 73.16 x 8.7mm, 195g (Pixel 7)
162.9 x 76.55 x 8.9mm, 212g (Pixel 7 Pro)
- Android 13 out of the box with Google Apps
- Pixel 7 review
- Pixel 7 Pro review
- RRP prices from 649 euros (Pixel 7) or 899 euros (Pixel 7 Pro)