[GUIDE] : How to block ads on an Android smartphone? Part three
- Download the Blokada installation file and install the application on your mobile. If you don’t know how to do this, see our How to Install an APK file on an Android mobile which covers the whole question.
Download Blokada for Android
- Once the installation is complete, open Blokada. A message says Blokada deactivated, which means Blokada is not active and is not blocking any ads as is. To activate Blokada, simply press the power button displayed on the home screen.
- A pop-up window will appear indicating that the app is using a VPN to block ads. Push the button Continue.
- The next screen displays more details about the VPN connection request needed by the application to monitor the network and therefore block advertisements. Push the button OK.
- Blokada is now activated. Push the button Continue.
- The application is by default in English, but you can switch it to French. To do this, tap on the gear icon at the bottom right. Once in the screen Settings (settings), press This Device.
- Then press the menu Language.
- Select French.
- Then access the menu Activity (the small diagram icon), which groups together all the connections analyzed by Blokada. You will find in red the ads and trackers blocked by the application, and in green, the connections considered as legitimate. This screen will grow larger as you use your device, launch applications and surf the web.
- To finely configure Blokada, then press box icon, below. In the section Advanced settings, select the menu Block lists to activate or deactivate ad and tracker block lists.
- Three tabs are available: Important points which includes the most popular blocking lists, Active which displays the lists you are using, and All which brings together all the blocking lists available in Blokada.
- To get more details about the items blocked by a list, just tap her name. Each block list has its own specifics and some offer several options that you can select according to your needs. When you have chosen the parameters for a list, go back by pressing the arrow, and activate the switch from the list to activate it on your device. Repeat this for each list you want to use.
- Still in the Advanced settings, Blokada offers to manage the applications in which you do not want to block advertisements. To do this, enter the menu Apps.
- Tap the apps you want to keep the ads for. Blokada displays in green the words “bypassed” to indicate that advertisements are no longer blocked in the application.
- Go back to the Advanced settings application and enter the menu Networks. Blokada can be configured depending on the network connection used. To make the app work the same regardless of the network you are using, tap All networks.
- Select the options you want to apply. By default the application activates the DNS encryption as well as the DNS Cloudflare.
- Then return to the previous menu. You can also configure Blokada so that the application works differently when your smartphone uses the mobile network, and when it is connected to Wi-Fi. Any mobile network to customize how the application works when using a mobile connection. As seen previously, Cloudflare’s DNS encryption and DNS are enabled by default. You can also choose to use your operator’s DNS (Prefer network DNS), or force the activation of Free mode on this network. Free mode corresponds to the Free user account that you use by default, free and without registration. The app providing additional paid options in a package called Blokada Plus.
- You can also individually configure the Blokada settings so that the application behaves differently when you are connected to Wi-Fi. To do this, go to the menu Any WiFi network where you will find the same settings as in the previous step.
- Because Blokada is such a complete and complex application, it is possible that blocklists or settings that you activate may not allow you to navigate properly on certain websites. If this is the case, you must refine the settings of Blokada and reload the pages of the sites concerned to verify that the modification had the desired effect.
How to block ads on Android apps and games
We are going to show you how to block ads on Android without root. Whether it’s in-browser ads, pop-up ads, or even ads in Android apps and games. There are many ways to get rid of annoying and intrusive ads, so choose the method that works best for you.
While ads are what make a lot of the apps and services we use on our Android devices great and free, they are also frustrating. If you’re looking to clean up your experience, we’ve got a few different methods for any experience level to try.
A big problem with ad blockers is most of them require root access, which is like Jailbreak for Android. If you are one of the millions of users who don’t want to hack their phone, you have other options. We will help you block ads without root, with root, or by downloading a new web browser.
How to block ads on Android without root
Our first method is one of the best ways to get rid of ads, and it doesn’t even need root access. It’s an app called DNS66, which uses the built-in Android VPN service to remove DNS-level ads. If that sounds confusing, let us explain.
What this means for the average user is DNS66 blocks specific domain names from a list, quickly, when you visit a site or launch an application or game. It does not run backwards – plan all the time. It checks the list, filters the ads and stops working. This way, you will have good autonomy and no advertising. It’s the best of both worlds. Most apps need root or drain your battery, this app won’t work. Find out more about XDA Developers.
- Unlock the hidden development options menu
- Activate the installation of applications from unknown sources in developer options
- Download DNS66 by F-Droid (completely safe open-source community for Android)
- Open it and swipe through the intro or tap Skip
- Tap the tab Domain filters below
- Activate each filter (red) by pressing it, except the fifth
- Press the buttonactualization (clockwise from a watch ↻ )
- Wait a few seconds for the ad unit filters to download
- Tap the tab Start / Stop below
- Long press the big power button to start the service
- Press OK to grant the VPN connection request
For those wondering, DNS66 does not connect to a remote VPN. Instead, it uses local, built-in Android virtual functionality to filter ads.
This will not remove the box banner that you typically see ads in, but you will no longer see the actual ad. You can also whitelist certain apps if needed. If you are using Android 7.0 Nougat or newer version, this will prevent apps from updating on the Google Play Store. You’ll need to quickly turn the filter off, do your updates, and then turn it back on to get continued coverage.
How to block ads on Android with root
If you’ve already rooted your Android phone or tablet, try Adaway. It is one of the most popular options on the market for blocking ads. Google removed the app from the Google Play Store, but it’s still available on popular sites like XDA Developers.
Adaway works the same as most other ad blockers. Instead of blocking the actual ads, it blocks the servers that deliver them. This will get rid of the ads in the browser and inside the apps and games. More information and links to download and talk about AdAway are available here.
How to Block Ads on Android Web Browser
In closing, we have one more option to get rid of certain advertisements on your Android smartphone or tablet. If downloading crazy third-party apps or rooting your smartphone is too technical or scary, try a new web browser.
Instead of using Samsung’s internet app or Google Chrome, you can download a new web browser that removes ads. Our favorite is AdBlock Browser for Android. It is available directly from the Google Play Store so that you know it is safe and secure.
Adblock Browser is easy to use and a highly customizable web browser that gives you control over your mobile browsing experience. It replaces Google Chrome and blocks tons of ads, offers a fast experience and can save battery and data at the same time. This will get rid of ads, protect you from malware, and allow you to turn filters on and off easily. This way, if the blocker is playing with a website you are visiting, you can just turn it off while you are on that site.
To use AdBlock Browser, download it from the Google Play Store, then open the app from the app bar. Select Yes to use it as the default browser, and you’re good to go. It does all the work for you. And while that won’t stop all the ads, it’s a much better experience without the hassle of the options we mentioned earlier.
Each of these options has a few advantages and disadvantages. The new web browser is the easiest method, but it only blocks ads when you are browsing the web. DNS66 works great and is very secure, but it does cause some issues with downloads from the web or updating apps from the Google play store. You should turn it off when updating from Google Play.