Rubber-tipped headphones have been around for years. In most cases, however, they all have an exclusive size – and if that size doesn’t fit your ears, you don’t have a prospect.
Apple has developed an option with AirPods Professional. Each pair of AirPods Professional comes with three different sets of rubber tips, each a different size. This means that you can adjust them to better fit the shape of your ear. You can even take a free test to see which size is right for you.
However, it’s not entirely clear how to remove the tips when you want to change them. Fortunately, this is not as difficult as it sounds.
Here’s how to change the ear tips of your AirPods when you want to change or clean them.
Remark change the tips of your AirPod Professional
Removing the tips from your AirPods shouldn’t take a lot of effort. You should always remove them if you want to clean the tips or the earbuds themselves.
1. To remove the ear tips from your AirPods Professional, firmly pinch your fingers on either side of the rubber insert.
2. When pinching, pull the tip of the AirPod out until it clicks into place. It will take some pressure, but don’t worry, it won’t break them. If you are worried about tearing the rubber, reverse the tip (as shown below) before you begin.
To remove the AirPods Pro tips, squeeze each side of the rubber insert and pull straight out until it pops off.
3. Choose a new pair of ear tips from the box – Small, Medium, or Large.
- The tips that are attached to your AirPods Pro earbuds when you first open the box are medium in size. If you find that they frequently fall out of your ears, try reducing the size – if they hurt or irritate your ears, try going up.
- A straightforward side-by-side comparison should tell you which tips are big and which are small, but if you ever mix them up, the associated letter is printed on the inside of each tip, near the base.
4. To attach the new pair of spikes, line up the oval on the edge of the spike with the oval of the AirPod speaker and gently press down on the spike until it clicks into place.
To reattach the points
How to use the AirPods fit take a look at to find the best earbuds
It can be difficult to determine which tips are right for you. If the feeling alone is not enough for you to make a decision, you can try the take a look at ear mold adjustment. To run the test, your Apple iphone must be running iOS 13.2 or later.
1. Put your AirPod Pros in your ears and open the Settings app on your device.
2. Tap “Bluetooth,” which should appear at the top of the Settings menu. In the Settings menu, tap “Bluetooth”.
3. Find your AirPods Professional in the Bluetooth device list and tap the “i” information icon on the right. Tap the information icon next to the name of your AirPods.
4. On the AirPod settings site, scroll down and tap “Ear Fit Test”. Press “Ear tip fit test”.
5. Press “Continue” and then press the “Play” button when you are ready to start the exam. Your phone will play music for a few seconds by means of the AirPods to determine the quality of the seal between a given headset and your ear.
If it determines that the seal is waterproof and provides adequate noise cancellation, the AirPod’s image on your screen will say “Good Seal” in green below. Otherwise, it will turn yellow at the position and say “Adjust or try a different ear tip”.
If you want to repeat the test, press the blue “Play” button.
Note that it is possible to get “Good Seal” results from all ear tips, regardless of which one is the most comfortable moreover. Checking is a good indicator of whether a given eartip does not fit your ear at all, but if it determines that one of the three forms a sufficiently good seal, you will need to be judging only on comfort.
AirPods Pro: you can finally replace silicone tips online
Apple now markets silicone tips for AirPods Pro. It was about time, since these are sensitive elements that can easily be lost and / or damaged.
AirPods Pro are some of the best wireless headphones on the market when you’re an iOS user. And if the first AirPods had escaped the silicone tips to fit into the ear without causing any discomfort, the Evolution Pro could not cut it. For a long time, it was not possible to buy it easily, you had to go through the after-sales service or go to a store to obtain it (by providing the serial number of your headphones).
For this price, we can therefore order four replacement tips, in one size (three options to choose from: S, M and L). We can always blame Apple for making money on an essential element to enjoy a product sold for 279 euros. But the point is that these tips are fragile and / or can get lost easily. For the less careful, this is therefore excellent news.
YOU CAN NOW ABUSE YOUR AIRPODS PRO
Behind Apple’s business opportunism, there may be a real need. Silicone tips are very exposed: they can tear, get dirty and get lost. This is even more true for those and those who would use their AirPods Pro during a sports activity. The opportunity to acquire replacement tips offers a significant fallback solution and we will be a little less afraid of pushing them around (which does not mean that we can do anything with them).
We remind you that the AirPods Pro come with three sizes of tips (S, M and L) and that the latter are based on a different construction from conventional headphones. Where the others come to cap a rod, those of the AirPods Pro clip easily on each earpiece. This astonishing choice guarantees additional comfort (the presence of a rod can hurt over long listening sessions), especially since the silicone chosen by Apple is very flexible – and, by extension, a little more vulnerable. .
How to do an AirPods Pro ear tip fit test
Even though AirPods Pro have an active ambient noise reduction feature, or maybe because they have such a feature, good passive isolation is important. Apple provides three sizes of silicone eartips: a medium size installed by default, a smaller size, and a larger size. To help you choose the one that provides the best insulation, it offers a “tip fit test”.
Put the AirPods Pro in your ears, then open your iPhone’s Settings app. Go to the Bluetooth section, tap the (i) button next to the name of your headphones, then tap Tip Fit Test. Touch the Continue button, then touch the ▶ ️ button, to start the test.
Do not remove or move your headphones while playing the small musical sample used by the test. Apple uses the AirPods Pro’s two microphones, one facing the inside of your ear and the other facing out, to pick up any sound leaks that indicate a poor fit.
The result of the test is immediate. If you have a problem, Apple will advise you to try a different pair of earbuds, or even change the eartip on a single earbud. Your ears don’t necessarily have the exact same size, and you may need to use a medium-sized eartip in one ear, and a smaller eartip in another.
But let’s be frank: according to our multiple tests, this test is not infallible. It gives me a positive result with all the tips, whereas I have to use two different sizes to achieve just passable comfort1. And it takes very large leaks, which you can probably spot without testing, to get a negative result.
A mess of replacement tips for AirPods Pro
Since last month, Apple has been marketing replacement tips for the AirPods Pro. The three sizes (S, M or L) are offered separately, at a rate of € 9 for two sets of tips. However, these tips are identical to those supplied with the headphones.
To find other types of tips, you have to look elsewhere, like on Amazon, where there is almost something for everyone. Whether it is the classic silicone versions in the three different sizes, or more original models, we find these small accessories sold in lots ranging from 5 to 25 €.
Different colors are available ranging from transparent to fluorescent tips. Some sellers even offer memory foam tips to best fit the owner’s ear canal.
You can also get your hands on accessories that add a small hook to better hold the AirPods Pro in the ears.