Unfortunately, some users never got to see the orange light when they tried to perform the reset by holding the configuration button on the charging case. The status light stays with the blinking white indicator and resetting is simply not possible.
If you are stuck in this situation, please follow the steps below:
- Reset your iPhone’s network settings. To do this, go to “Settings”> “General”> “Reset”> “Reset network settings” (Note that by doing this all network connection information will be deleted, so you will need to type them in again) .
- Once the network settings reset is complete, please disconnect your AirPods by selecting them in the Bluetooth settings and then clicking the “Forget this device” button.
- Now try to perform the reset through the enclosure.
- If the steps below couldn’t help you resolve the issue, please check the charging contact tip on the bottom of your AirPods.
- Clean the charging contacts of your AirPods as well as the charging contacts of the case.
- After cleaning, please put the AirPods in the case.
- Now try to perform AirPods reset, you should be able to see the orange light indicator.
How much does it cost to replace or repair AirPods?
It looks like the replacement cost of the AirPods battery and charging case, at Apple, would be $ 49.
This price does not include taxes or shipping costs which are $ 6.95, so expect to pay this excess if you want to mail them.
The best thing to do would be to try cleaning the charging contacts of the case and AirPods yourself. But if it still doesn’t work after these attempts, then you’ll need to head to Apple to request a battery replacement or repair.
If you are thinking about getting the second generation of AirPods then this would be a really good opportunity to do so. If you only want to replace the charging case of your headphones, you can also purchase it separately from Apple.
Tips for getting a cheap AirPods replacement from Apple
Here are three things to keep in mind when contacting Apple to replace your AirPods:
- If you have used your AirPods for less than a year and the battery does not reach the performance of 5 hours of listening, then you can request a free replacement from Apple.
- Apple has recently started selling its AppleCare + warranty (which also supports batteries) for $ 29. Still, that extended warranty only lasts for a maximum of 2 years – but that’s long enough to enjoy your AirPods.
- If your AirPods warranty has already expired, then you’ll need to pay $ 49 per earphone – that’s $ 98 for the whole thing. And if you want to buy back a charging case, which usually doesn’t wear out as quickly, be prepared to fork out $ 49. The key phrase here would be including “battery service”.
We really hope that examining and cleaning the charging contacts of your AirPods could help you resolve the charging issue.
This little trick allows you to charge your AirPods with your iPhone
Need a little juice for your AirPods but don’t have your AC adapter with you? Don’t panic, there is a D system to charge the headphones via your iPhone.
AirPods are great headphones. Despite a slightly high price – this remains an Apple product – they are affirming themselves as a good solution to enjoy your music tracks wirelessly. Alas, they will always need to be recharged, even if the magic box that comes with them avoids doing it too often. Besides, what should I do if I get stranded outside my home and don’t have my AC adapter handy to grab a few minutes of extra musical pleasure? Well there is obviously a somewhat convoluted solution to recharge your AirPods on your iPhone.
THE LITTLE TIPS THAT CAN SERVE
It’s a smart internet user who gives us the trick: to charge your AirPods on an iPhone – or an iPad -, you have to use a USB dongle blocking data (like those sold by PortaPow), a Lightning cable to USB (the one provided by Apple) and a Lightning to USB adapter (Apple sells one). Okay, okay, that’s still a lot of accessories to buy and put together to take advantage of this feature that can come in handy if you have everything on hand – except that AC adapter that would sort everything out.
In the comments of the tweet, one user confirmed this method, even stating that headphones like the BeatsX don’t need a data blocker to charge through an iPhone. Without it, AirPods clamor for too much power to refuel. Conclusion: it’s a bit on a case-by-case basis depending on the USB accessories. Of course, an iPhone will not charge another iPhone through this.
AirPods Pro tip: tap the case to know the battery status
The AirPods Pro wireless charging case hides a little trick to know its charge level when it is placed on a Qi compatible mat. When you place the box on the carpet, the LED on the front will light up for 8 seconds, then it will go out. To “wake up” it, just tap the box!
This trick does not work when the box is charging wired.
If the diode lights up orange, charging is still in progress. If it is green, the AirPods Pro are fully charged. Since we are there, let’s recall the color code of the boxes (regardless of their generation):
LED flashing white? AirPods can be set up with any of your devices.
Is the LED flashing orange? The headphones may need to be reconfigured.
Remember that the case diode displays the charge level of the headphones when they are in the case. Otherwise, ie when the headphones are removed, the light indicates the charge level of the case. Green: headphones / case charged; orange: headphones / case partially charged.
This is how AirPods 2 charging works
While the AirPods 2 were released in mid-March, some are rather waiting for version 3 to renew their headphones, for lack of real new features. But that’s not really what Colin Salter is interested in on Reddit. This very active user on the famous forum had fun measuring a number of metrics around the charging of the latest wireless headphones from Apple.
For his test, he took the AirPods 2 with a classic case, which is recharged by cable. It would have been interesting if he also did it with the Qi compatible box.
AirPods charge in priority and in 30 minutes
Here are the findings following the various measures around the charging of AirPods:
- AirPods fully charge in 30 minutes
- The box is fully charged in 2 hours, if the headphones are also empty
- The AirPods take the charge in priority, with a boost for about 3min30
- The box is also boosted for 10 minutes
- Charging the case does not start until after the AirPods have received about 20% charge
- The case / Airpods pair never exceeds 2.5 W, plugging it into a more powerful charger is therefore unnecessary.
A tip to boost the charge of the Airpods case
Finally, this in-depth analysis reveals a trick: if you open the case while it is charging, it will pull harder on the charger for more than 3 minutes, a significant boost to force the latter to go faster.
The diagram published by Colin
Tip: AirPods can be recharged in the box of another pair!
We saw it in the test, when you open a box of AirPods that does not belong to you, Apple is not shy to notify you that it is not your headphones. It is obviously still possible to re-associate them temporarily by pressing on the back of the box (then by “Forgetting” headphones in bluetooth preferences when finished), but it’s not very convenient.
On the other hand, the Cupertino company is more sharing on the side of the boxes! Indeed, if you forgot yours, but your boyfriend / girlfriend / wife / husband thought to take it, you are saved! Indeed, it seems that each box is independent of AirPods, and that it can be used at will with other headphones, without any distinction. So you can charge your headphones at someone else’s house without problem and even see the battery level of its box from your iPhone.
The only limitation that we have noticed for the moment, it is not not possible to mix the headphones, which seems quite logical. If you try to do this, the little orange light will flash, indicating that something wrong is happening.
For the time being, Apple does not yet sell each earbud separately and it does not offer a separate box either. Too bad, that would allow you to leave one at home and another at the office, for example!