[GUIDE] : How to set up and use parental controls on your Android TV and Smartphone
Parental controls are essential so that you know exactly what your child is watching and when they are watching it. With these controls on your Android TV, you can easily configure them to limit your children’s access.
It’s good to have a bit of control over what your kids are exposed to, which is why parental controls are somewhat necessary. Setting up these controls might seem a bit tricky, but it’s pretty straightforward. Here is how to install it and how to use them.
How to set up parental controls
Setting up parental controls is pretty quick and easy, so let’s get started. Select the “Settings” icon represented by the cog in the upper right corner.
From the next menu, select “Parental Controls” just below the “Input” option.
This will take you to the parental control settings. Click the toggle to activate the commands.
You’ll now need to set up a four-digit password, so make sure it’s not something that can be easily guessed.
Confirm this four-digit password again.
You will then be taken back to the main parental control settings and you will see that the toggle is now on. This menu will allow you to change the settings of all your parental controls.
How to use parental controls
The use of parental controls will allow you to limit the access of your children. Start by going to the Settings menu by selecting the cog that represents your settings.
When this menu fills up, select “Parental Controls”.
This will show you all the different options so that you can configure what you want to block for your kids. Let’s start by planning the blockage first and go down right away.
For program blocking, you can select the start and end time at which the TV can be used. You can also set the day of the week that you block. Therefore, if you have plans for a certain day, they will not have access to them.
Input blocking allows you to select the input device to which you want to restrict access.
You can also change your PIN code from this menu. You’ll need to remember the old one to get it replaced, so make sure you’ve written it down in a safe place.
It’s pretty nice to have all of these restrictions on your Android TV. You can control what your kids can see, which will also give you peace of mind. It’s also easy to set up and use everything, so you won’t have to worry about a difficult setup period.
Find out how to set up parental controls
Thanks to the Parentsdanslesparages.com parental control application, protect your children from the dangers of the Internet, even when they connect from their Android mobile or tablet.
To install the Android parental control app, follow the 4 steps below or watch our tutorial video. For those with version 2.7 of the application, check out the old video.
From your child’s device
1- Installation and launch of the application
Download the app
- Go to the Google Play Store from the device you want to protect.
- In the search bar, type “parentsdanslesparages”or simply “Pdlp”
- Choose “PDLP Parental Control”
- Click on “Installer”
Launch of parental controls
- Identify yourself using the identifiers provided when registering, or register directly from the application.
- PDLP needs multiple permissions to operate parental controls. Authorize them as they are requested.
- Create your security code to use your mobile or tablet as a parent.
- It is done ! You can now freely use your mobile or tablet, create new child users, modify them, etc.
2- Configure a child profile
Creation of a new user
- Once the application is configured, you arrive on the user configuration screen. Click on the avatar that appears to create a new user.
- Enter their name.
- Enter their date of birth in order to apply the appropriate level of internet filtering.
Setting up your child’s profile
After defining your child’s first name and date of birth, you are redirected to the user configuration screen. Select the cog icon that appears on the upper right corner of your child’s profile. You then arrive in the various settings, which allow:
- to set up time slots for using the smartphone or tablet.
- to select the applications accessible to your child during these time slots.
- define essential applications (alarm clock, calculator, etc.). These will be accessible at all times, even outside of the authorized time slots, and even if your child exceeds the allocated time of use. Here, the usage time is no longer counted. NB: The emergency numbers will always be accessible to your child, regardless of the time slot.
- to apply Internet filtering adapted to the age of your child.
- respond to requests for access to a blocked website or application.
3- Connection of your child to his session
- Your profile and those of your children are accessible from the “Choose your session” screen. Click on the relevant child’s session to begin.
- Create with him his security code.
- By default, the child will navigate on their classic Android desktop, but only authorized applications will be accessible.
- Note: the child has permanent access to his remaining time of use via the notification bar
Main features of the application
A – Safe browsing
For safe internet browsing, your child can use the browser of their choice which will be filtered using the VPN authorized at installation . This blocks all sites that are not authorized, given the age of your child, while ensuring the confidentiality of exchanges and conversations.
B – Remote application request
To ask you for access to an application, nothing could be simpler: your child just has to launch the application in question (which will be blocked if you wish), and click on“Request the application” . You will be immediately notified by email and can respond:
- either from your parent space
- either directly from the Android application by connecting to your session (Requests tab).
From your parent space
1 – What is the parent space?
- Your parent area allows you to manage the security settings that you have applied for each of your children on their different devices.
- It is available from the website www.parentsdanslesparages.com. All you have to do is click on Parents’ area at the top right and enter your login details to access it. You can also access it from your child’s Android device, by going to the Parentsdanslesparages.com application and logging into your session.
- Note that you can connect and configure your children’s sessions from a computer, but also from your smartphone or tablet.
- You can also merge two users so that you only have to manage one profile; go to “Users” and click on the icon of the desired user. All you have to do is select a session from the displayed list and click on “Group”.
2 – Planning of use
- Go to the “Users” section, select the desired user and click on “More” then “Planning”. You also access the schedule directly from the main menu. All you have to do is click on “Planning”, then select the desired user from the drop-down menu on the right of the screen.
- Choose the time of use of your child’s smartphone as well as his connection times.
Note that by default, if you have grouped your users, all the schedules of a user are also grouped. You can then either leave them grouped, your child will therefore have a global usage package (both on the PC, smartphone and / or tablet) or unbundle the schedules, which will allow you to allocate time different uses depending on the connection devices.
3 – Authorization of applications
During access time slots
- Log in to your parent space.
- On the chosen user, click on “More” then on “Applications”.
- Go to the Allowed Applications tab.
- Click on the apps you want to allow (they will be highlighted).
Outside the access time slots
- On the chosen user, go to “More”, “Applications”, and click on the Essential applications tab.
- Click on the applications you wish to authorize outside of the operating hours (they will then appear highlighted). The essential applications will be accessible at any time, including in the event of exceeding the authorized time or outside the authorized time slots. In this case, the usage time is no longer counted.
4 – Internet filtering level
- Go to your parent space.
- Go to the “Users” section, click on the “More” button of the desired user and on Internet filtering .
- Set the level of security you want to apply to your child.
- Access to filtering is also done via the “Internet filtering” tab in the menu. Then choose the desired user with the drop-down menu on the right of the screen.
As with internet filtering on a computer, filtering on your child’s Android smartphone and / or tablet is automatically set using the date of birth you entered. You can change this default setting if you want.
5 – Application preferences
By default, your child will access the classic Android desktop (but only authorized apps will be accessible). However, you have the possibility, via your administration console, to limit its access to the secure PDLP environment. To do this, go to the “Applications” page of the desired user, then to the “Preferences” tab, and check “Desktop closed”: only the icons of the authorized applications will be visible. That’s it ! From this tab, you also have the option of choosing to automatically block any new application installed, to be notified by email as soon as an application is downloaded, etc.
Uninstalling parental controls
If you wish to uninstall the Parentsdanslesparages.com parental control application, connect to your parent session from the device concerned. Choose the option “Configure child sessions”, then select the cog icon at the top right of the screen. There you will find an “Uninstall” button.