Microsoft Project xCloud will also allow users to stream games to mobile devices.
Microsoft’s new game streaming service, Project xCloud, is now available on Android phones and tablets. It competes directly with Google’s Stadia, which launched last year and allows people to play PC games on Android phones, Google’s Chromecast Ultra, and in the Chrome web browser on most computers.
Think of xCloud as the “gaming Netflix”. MIcrosoft’s game streaming service allows you to play high quality games, which normally require a powerful Xbox game console, anywhere there is a fairly fast internet connection (10 Mbps or better) without it being necessary to buy an Xbox. Netflix, by comparison, requires half that speed, or 5 Mbps, for HD video stream.
The service can help attract casual gamers to the Microsoft ecosystem as they don’t need to spend hundreds of dollars on an Xbox. Game streaming is included as part of Microsoft’s Xbox Game Pass Ultimate service at $ 14.99 / month, which offers over 150 Xbox games. Most games also require an Xbox controller paired with your phone via Bluetooth, although a few like Microsoft’s “Minecraft Dungeons” also support touch controls.
Google Stadia is free, but you have to pay full price for games, which range in price from around $ 14.99 to $ 60 or more. Premium Stadia subscribers get access to more free titles per month and 4K games, if their internet connection is fast enough to support it. Microsoft’s solution is much more like Netflix than Google’s, offering an all-you-can-eat buffet of games that you don’t pay individually but have access to as long as you pay the monthly fee.
Your experience depends entirely on the quality of your Internet connection. This can sometimes be a problem. At home, where I have fast internet, it feels a lot like playing straight from my console. But it won’t work if your connection is too slow, an issue Google Stadia also has. This is one of the reasons carriers are pushing new 5G networks that will someday deliver data speeds fast enough that games can be played anywhere you have your phone.
Some industry leaders are not yet fully sold on streaming services like Google Stadia and Microsoft xCloud. In an interview with Protocol published Tuesday, Take-Two Interactive CEO Strauss Zelnick said game streaming will not transform the way we play games. Take-Two is a major player in the gaming industry. It publishes successful games like the Grand Theft Auto series and “NBA 2K” and some of its titles are already available on the competing platform of Google Stadia.
Zelnick told Protocol said streaming services are too dependent on Wi-Fi or cellular networks which won’t always be fast enough.
“I speak against my own interests, don’t I? We are supposed to paint this picture of nirvana; however, I just don’t think it’s nirvana, ”he told Protocol. “Nirvana makes big hits, then people will find them. We sold 135 million units of Grand Theft Auto V, 32 million units of Red Dead Redemption. I wish I could tell you that there will come a time when various cloud gaming services will mean that those numbers will be doubled or tripled, but I don’t really see it. “
Players who own iPhones and iPads also cannot use Microsoft’s new service on those devices. Apple’s development rules prevented game streaming services until very recently. And, while Apple updated its developer terms on September 11 to allow these types of services, Microsoft believes they will still provide a “bad customer experience” as Apple will require Microsoft to offer every game as a download. separate.
You can try Microsoft Game Streaming now by doing the following:
- Sign up for Xbox Game Pass Ultimate. That’s $ 14.99 per month after a $ 1 free trial.
- Pair your Xbox controller with your Android phone or tablet by pressing the small pair button on the back and opening Bluetooth on your Android phone, then selecting the controller.
- Open the Google Play Store on your Android phone.
- Download the Xbox Game Pass app from Microsoft.
- Open the app and sign in to your Microsoft account.
- Tap the “Cloud” tab at the top.
- Choose “Play” under the game you want to play.
How to play Xbox Game Pass games on Android smartphone
after several months of beta testing, xCloud is no longer. Microsoft’s cloud gaming service is now directly integrated into the Game Pass offer for Ultimate subscribers.
WHAT IS CHANGING TODAY H * I?
Starting today, September 15, 2020, Microsoft’s cloud gaming service is integrated into Xbox Game Pass Ultimate. Still in beta, ex-xCloud is now directly available in the official Android Game Pass application which offers, in passing, a small interface change.
Once connected, you will find a “Cloud” tab alongside the “PC” and “Console” tabs. Then you just need to select the game you want to play and launch it.
At the moment, the service is only available on Android. Regarding the iPhone, Apple changed its terms and conditions recently, however the restrictions imposed seem far too important for publishers who will have to rethink their model.
HOW TO SUBSCRIBE AND ENJOY CLOUD GAMING?
To take advantage of Microsoft’s cloud gaming service, you need an Android smartphone and a stable internet connection. Microsoft does not say if the service requires a very high speed connection, but our tests in ADSL and 4G show that it is possible to play correctly if the conditions are good.
You also need to be subscribed to Xbox Game Pass Ultimate (still available at half price for now).
As a reminder, the Xbox Game Pass Ultimate offer also offers a whole catalog of on-demand games for Xbox and PC, as well as the services of an Xbox Gold subscription. The Xbox Game Pass Ultimate subscription is 1 euro the first month then 12.99 euros per month.
WHAT ACCESSORIES TO BE WELL EQUIPPED?
This is one of the new features of the day, some games like Minecraft Dungeons can be played directly on the screen thanks to touch controls superimposed on the game interface.
To make the most of most of the games on offer, it is still better to connect a controller to your Android smartphone or tablet. You can directly connect an Xbox One Bluetooth controller, or use a dedicated controller like the Razer Kishi.
Our controller buying guide for Android and iOS will allow you to select a model according to your needs.
WHAT GAMES ARE AVAILABLE IN CLOUD GAMING?
For the launch of the service, Microsoft is already offering 150 titles:
- A Plague Tale: Innocence
- Age of Wonders: Planetfall
- ARK: Survival Evolved
- Batman: Arkham Knight
- Battle Chasers: Nightwar
- Black Desert
- Blair Witch
- Bleeding Edge
- Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night
- Bridge Constructor Portal
- Children of Morta
- Crackdown 3: Campaign
- Darksiders Genesis
- Darksiders III
- the Blob
- Dead by Daylight
- Dead Cells
- Dead Island Definitive Edition
- Death Squared
- Deliver us the moon
- Demon’s Tilt
- Destiny 2: Forsaken and Shadowhold expansions (starting September 22)
- DiRT 4
- Don’t Starve
- Double Kick Heroes
- Drake Hollow
- Dungeon of the Endless
- Enter The Gungeon
- F1 2019
- Fallout 76
- Farming Simulator 17
- Felix the Reaper
- Fishing Sim World: Pro Tour
- For the King
- Forza Horizon 4
- Fractured Minds
- Frostpunk: Console Edition
- Gato Roboto
- Gears of War 1: Ultimate Edition
- Gears of War 4
- Gears 5
- Goat Simulator
- Golf with Your Friends
- Guacamelee! 2
- Halo 5: Guardians
- Halo Wars: Final Edition
- Halo Wars 2
- Halo : The Master Chief Collection
- Halo: Spartan Assault
- Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice
- Hello Neighbor
- Hollow Knight
- Hot Shot Racing
- Human Fall Flat
- Hypnospace Outlaw
- Journey to the Savage Planet
- Katana ZERO (Coming soon)
- Killer Instinct Definitive Edition
- Lonely Mountains: Downhill
- MARVEL VS. CAPCOM: INFINITE
- Metro 2033 Redux
- Middle Earth: Shadow of War
- Minecraft: Dungeons
- Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight
- Mortal Kombat X
- Mount & Blade: Warband
- Moving Out
- Munchkin: Quacked Quest
- Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden
- My Time At Portia
- Neon Abyss
- New Super Lucky’s Tale
- NieR: Automata
- Night Call
- Night in the Woods (Bientôt disponible)
- No Man’s Sky
- Nowhere Prophet
- Ori and the Blind Forest: Definitive Edition
- Ori and the Will of the Wisps
- Overcooked! 2
- Pathologic 2
- Pillars of Eternity: Complete Edition
- Power Rangers: Battle for the Grid
- ReCore: Definitive Edition
- Remnant: From the Ashes
- Resident Evil 7 Biohazard
- Rise & Shine
- River City Girls (Coming soon)
- Sea of Thieves: Anniversary Edition
- Sea Salt
- Secret Neighbor
- Shadow Warrior 2
- Slay the Spire
- Sniper Elite 4
- State of Decay 2: Juggernaut Edition
- Stranger Things 3: The Game
- Streets of Rage 4
- Streets of Rogue
- Surviving Mars
- Tell Me Why Chapters 1 to 3
- The Bard’s Tale IV: Directors Cut
- The Bard’s Tale Remastered and Resnarkled
- The Bard’s Tale Trilogy
- The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance Tactics
- The Elder Scrolls Online
- The Gardens Between
- The Jackbox Party Pack 4
- The Long Dark
- The Lord of the Rings: Adventure Card Game
- The Messenger
- The Outer Worlds
- The Surge 2
- The Touryst
- The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
- The Escapists 2
- The Talos Principle
- The Turing Test
- The Walking Dead: A New Frontier – Épisodes 1 à 5
- The Walking Dead: Michonne – Episodes 1 to 3
- The Walking Dead: Saison 2
- theHunter: Call of the Wild
- Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales
- Totally Accurate Battle Simulator
- Totally Reliable Delivery Service
- Touhou Luna Nights
- Tracks – The Train Set Game
- Train Sim World 2020
- Two Point Hospital
- Untitled Goose Game
- Void B******s
- Warhammer Vermintide 2 (Coming soon)
- Wasteland Remastered
- Wasteland 2: Director’s Cut
- Wasteland 3
- We Happy Few
- West of Dead
- Wizard of Legend
- World War Z
- Worms W.M.D
- Xeno Crisis
- Yakuza 0
- Yakuza Kiwami
- Yakuza Kiwami 2