Widgets are not something new in iOS, although it may seem like they arrived with iOS 14, widgets have several versions present, although they had their reserved space, usually on a screen on the left side of the Home screen, the Lock screen, or Notification Center.
However, with iOS 14 widgets got better and we can place them anywhere on our homescreen but by Apple standards. Widgets they will necessarily occupy a space of 2 x 2, 2 x 4 or 4 x 4 icons to keep the classic iOS grid layout.
We already have installed the beta of iOS 14 on our iPhoneIt’s done very simply, and we’ve been testing the system for over 24 hours, and today we’re going to tell you everything you need to know about the new widgets in iOS 14.
How to use iOS 14 widgets
The first challenge Apple faced, once it got over the widget design, was how to include these widgets on the home screen, and they chose a solution that has been present in iOS almost from the beginning: the edit mode of the home screen.
- Tap and hold an icon until it starts to move, or tap Edit Home Screen when the drop-down list appears.
- The icons will start to vibrate: you are already in edit mode on the home screen.
- A new icon with a “+” appears in the upper left corner.
- When you tap it, a new dropdown will appear with available widgets, currently only from official apps.
- Select the widget you want to add and choose the shape you want to give it.
- Below click on “Add Widget”, “Add Widget” and it will appear on the home screen.
- You can now move it as if it were just another app between your screens.
- When you’re done, click OK at the top right.
How are iOS 14 widgets
IOS 14 widgets have a lot of editing options in terms of size and content, developers will need to follow these Apple guides to enter their own widgets they are therefore ready when the system reaches all users in September. Here are the available options and what the iOS 14 widgets look like:
- Widgets available in iOS 14 Beta 1: Shortcuts, Battery, Stock, Calendar, Fitness, Photos, Cards, Notes, Podcast, Reminders, Siri Suggestions, Time and Time of Use.
- Three sizes of widgets: 2×2, 2×4 or 4×4 icons, you can choose when entering the widget.
- Some widgets have all sizes available, others only two.
- You can have multiple widgets in one thanks to the Smart Stack. Available in two sizes 2×2 and 2×4 and has 7 widgets that will display and change intelligently throughout the day. also by sliding down and up you can move around them.
This is one of the main novelties of iOS 14 and a very important change in the interface of iOS, which had remained unchanged since the iPhone OS 1. A highly anticipated change and without a doubt that users were looking forward to it.
Source : Techradar