Personalization on Xiaomi phones is so broad that MIUI, the brand’s personalized layer, Allows you to change almost any look without complications. Icons are part of these customization possibilities since the theme app has an infinity of these elements. In addition, it is also possible to install icon packs from the Google Play Store.
Installing themes on a Xiaomi mobile is as easy as going to its themes app and downloading one of the available ones, at least as long as you said the app (in Spain it can be used). Brand personalization allows completely change the appearance of the interface or choose portions: wallpapers, fonts or icons. While there are several ways to customize the design of the layers, including these icons: from within the Themes app, install a launcher or download icon packs from Google Play. Let’s see how to perform each method.
Customize the icons of the « themes »
This is the easiest option as MIUI provides everything you need to adapt phone icons to a wide variety of styles. Of course, with a downside: the appearance of the designs is generally too oriental, so there aren’t too many styles of materials to give an example. Still, it’s worth taking a look, you can find the icons that match your phone.
To download and install icon packs from the theme app, follow these steps:
- Find the ‘Themes’ application among all the applications installed on your Xiaomi.
- Choose one of the themes making sure they have icons (They should be in the majority).
- Go back to the themes home screen and click on the icon at the bottom right, the profile icon.
- Go to the « Icons » category.
- Click on the theme you downloaded, then click « Apply. »
In this way you will not apply the entire theme because you will have selected only its icons. Of course, if you want to completely change the MIUI interface, apply the theme from its ‘Themes’ category. Also in your profile options (local files).
Customize the icons of a launcher
MIUI is a layer that offers many possibilities, but among them Cannot find icon pack installation on Google Play. It is a hindrance if you want to install the packs you bought from the Android store on your phone because you cannot use the MIUI launcher with them. In return, you have a plethora of interfaces at your fingertips, like Nova Launcher.
Nova is one of the best launchers that you can install on your phone. Clean and with an ‘Android stock’ design, highly customizable and with the possibility of installing icon packs. If you want to use your own packs with MIUI Nova, it is highly recommended.
Other launchers compatible with the installation of icon packs (the first two are from Xiaomi):
Apply your icon packs without installing launchers
Installing a launcher is a bit tricky as it’s nothing more than a patch that keeps fixing the problem: change MIUI icons with Google Play packs. Therefore, let’s see how the packs are installed in the MIUI launcher that comes with your Xiaomi by default. To do this, we will use an application to modify the installed themes: Theme Editor For MIUI.
Theme editor for MIUI
Theme editor for MIUI allows you to edit themes installed in MIUI. You can change any element, such as backgrounds, fonts or of course icons. And it does exactly what we are looking for: with this app we can apply icon packs downloaded from Google Play directly on other icons downloaded from « Themes ». It is the closest thing in MIUI to installing a third party package.
To use the theme editor to edit MIUI icons, you need to do the following:
- Make sure you have downloaded the icon packs you want to install on your mobile.
- Go to the MIUI themes app and download the one you like for its design and appearance. It doesn’t matter that you are not interested in its icons because we will change them with Theme Manager for MIUI.
- Once the theme is downloaded, open the Theme Editor For MIUI app.
- Tap « Choose a theme » and choose the theme you downloaded.
- When you have chosen the theme, click on « Start »: all the changes you make in the application will be made on the selected theme.
- Click on « Application icons » then on « Import the complete icon pack ».
- Select the pack from the “Select Icon Pack” drop-down list and click “Done”.
- Uncheck the « Apply changes to installed applications only » button. In this way all theme icons will be overwritten by those from the packWhether or not you have the relevant apps on your phone.
- Click on « Back » to return to the initial menu of the theme editor for MIUI.
- Click on « Next » and end the process with « Finish ». The app will create a copy of the chosen theme with the icons from the Google Play package. When finished, click on « Install » to have the modified theme is installed on the mobile.
- Now go to MIUI ‘Themes’ app and apply duplicate theme manager for MIUI theme, the one that says ‘(Apply me)’.
- Your theme may uninstall after a while, this is not a problem with the Theme Editor for MIUI: Xiaomi does not allow you to apply third party themes. If this happens to you, you will have to reapply the theme with the icons. Or you can register your Xiaomi account as a designer on this website: this will allow you to use third-party themes.
You can change the themes you download from the MIUI app and also some of the themes preinstalled on your Xiaomi phone. After the theme is applied, you can change the wallpapers to your liking to match the style of the icons.