How to remove the Google and Cloudflare DNS addresses from the Internet connection settings of your computer, mobile phone and router.
- How to remove DNS addresses from your router settings
- How to remove DNS addresses from macOS settings
- How to remove DNS addresses from settings in Windows
- How to remove DNS addresses from settings on an iPhone or iPad
- How to remove DNS addresses from settings on Android
- Which DNS servers to use instead of Google and Cloudflare
How to remove the Google and Cloudflare DNS addresses from the Internet connection settings of your computer, mobile phone and router
Recently, many users have been experiencing problems with their home or office Internet connection. This manifests itself in intermittent disconnections or delays during data transfer.
This is most likely due to the use of Google and Cloudflare DNS servers. According to Roskomnadzor, these servers could soon be blocked in Russia.
Here’s how to change your DNS server settings so you don’t end up with an interrupted Internet connection on your mobile phone, computer, or any other device connected to your router.
How to remove DNS addresses from your router settings
You should do this if you have self-prescribed server addresses on the router you use so that they apply to all devices on your home or office network.
Here everything depends on the model and brand of the router. Some manufacturers allow you to change these settings through their own application, while others only allow you to do so through the web interface. The second option is more correct and reliable, you only have to remember the IP address of the router and the access credentials.
1. Defines the IP address of the router used. For most models, the default value is used:
▶ 192.168.0.1 – routers from many manufacturers;
▶ 192.168.31.1 – Xiaomi routers.
The brand with the address used is usually on the router itself, the data can be found in the network configuration application used.
2. Go to your router’s IP address in your browser on any device that is currently connected to the network (mobile phone, tablet or computer).
3. Log in with your username and password. The data can be saved in a keychain or in a third-party password manager.
If there is no data saved, the default credentials can be used, which are also stamped on the body of the router.
4. Locate the section with DNS settings. Settings can be in the path:
▶ DHCP – DHCP configuration (for TP-Link, D-Link routers);
▶ Internet – DNS server (for apple routers);
▶ General settings – Internet settings (for Xiaomi routers);
▶ 常用设置 – 上网设置 – (for Xiaomi routers without global firmware).
5. Locate the two fields with the DNS parameters. They are usually labeled Primary/Secondary, Basic-Addition, DNS1DNS2 or whatever.
6. Clear the DNS server settings used by Google or Cloudflare.
7. Save the configuration and reboot the router for the changes to take effect.
How to remove DNS addresses from macOS settings
If you did not write the server addresses on the router, but on each device you use, you will need to delete them on each device as well. The procedure on a Mac is as follows:
Navigate to the System Configuration – Network path.
■ In the left pane, select the Internet connection you are going to use. It can be a wired Ethernet connection or Wi-Fi.
■ Tap the More button.
In the DNS tab, delete or change the addresses of the servers in use.
■ Press OKand then Apply.
For the changes to take effect, disconnect from the Internet and reconnect.
How to remove DNS addresses from settings in Windows
If you are using a Windows computer, you need to do the following:
□ Open Control Panel (via the Start menu or the computer’s properties).
□ Go to Network and Internet – Network and Sharing Center.
□ In the View basic network information and make connections window, find an active Wi-Fi or Ethernet connection.
□ Select an active connection and click the Properties button.
□ In the window that opens, select the IP protocol version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and click Properties.
□ In the General tab Delete or change the addresses of the DNS servers used.
□ Press OK и Apply.
□ For the changes to take effect, disconnect from the Internet and reconnect.
How to remove DNS addresses from settings on an iPhone or iPad
To make the necessary changes to the iOS network connection settings, do the following
● Navigate to Settings – Wi-Fi.
Press the “i” symbol next to the active connection.
● Go to DNS Settings.
Delete or change the addresses of the DNS servers used
● Press Save and reconnect to the network for the changes to take effect.
How to remove DNS addresses from settings on Android
If you’re using an Android smartphone, tablet, or TV set-top box, change the settings as follows (names and locations of menu items may vary)
○ Go to Settings – Wi-Fi.
○ Select the active connection and tap Change network.
○ Click the Show advanced settings button.
○ In DNS-1/DNS-2, delete or change the addresses of the DNS servers used.
○ Press Save and reconnect to the network for the changes to take effect.
Which DNS servers to use instead of Google and Cloudflare
Many ISPs and the ISPs themselves recommend certain DNS settings to users or set up automatic DNS recovery. Most of the time, these settings are specified when you set up your connection.
Check with your Internet service provider’s customer service department for the latest information.
If you decide to specify a third-party DNS server yourself, you can use these options:
◈ 188.8.131.52 and 184.108.40.206 – Fast and reliable DNS from Yandex.
◈ 220.127.116.11 and 18.104.22.168 – popular Cisco Umbrella DNS servers.
◈ 22.214.171.124 and 126.96.36.199 – servers of one of the largest network providers Nivel3DNS.
◈ 188.8.131.52 and 184.108.40.206 – reliable and fast Comodo Secure DNS servers.
Experiment and choose the service that suits you best in terms of connection speed and stability.
? Do you want more? Subscribe to our Telegram.
Mark it in your favourites.