As details of the deal hammered out by leaders of the Main Street Caucus and the House Freedom Caucus circulated, a band of conservative hardliners launched various versions of “Hell No” — rejecting a measure that would impose a reduction in 8% to most non-citizens. -defense programs and implement a package of GOP border policies while extending government funding for a month.
Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-Fla.) said to our colleague Olivia Beavers “will not support this 167-page capitulation to Joe Biden”.
Rep. Matt Rosendale (R-Mont.) called the plan a “continuation of Nancy Pelosi’s budget and Joe Biden’s policies”.
Add to that other objections from Reps. Dan Bishop (R-N.C.), Cory Mills (R-Fla.), Tim Burchett (R-Tenn.), Tony Gonzales (R-Texas), Andy Ogles (R-Texas), R-Tenn.), Anna Paulina Luna (R-Fa.), Victoria Spartaz (R-Ind.) and Ralph Norman (R-S.C.), with others sure to follow.
All of this adds up to a stark calculation for McCarthy, who can afford to lose no more than four votes assuming all Democrats vote against it — which is almost certain — and all of his members show up this week — a prospect that seems unlikely, given that at least three members are temporarily sidelined.
It also highlights how unmanageable the House Republican Party truly is, with Freedom Caucus leaders — including Rep. Scott Perry (R-Pa.), its chairman — approving a deal only to see it publicly rejected by a good part of its members within a party. matter of minutes.
Certainly, with a vote expected no earlier than Thursday, McCarthy and Majority Whip Tom Emmer (R-Minn.) have some time to refine the proposal and convince holdouts. Perhaps the argument that worked in the fight against the debt ceiling could again change some people’s minds: the goal is not to get this proposal signed, but to give the Republicans a helping hand. negotiation as strong as possible.
But remember: This is a group that felt burned by the deal McCarthy ultimately negotiated to end the default crisis, and they won’t be inclined to let him in again lots of room to maneuver.
Whatever the fate of this CR bet, neither outcome allows Congress to avoid a shutdown in 13 days. Biden and the Democratic Senate are not going to accept a major spending cut and a bunch of partisan policies to keep the lights on.
Do you like this content ? Consider subscribing to POLITICO’s Playbook newsletter.
- The US has lost an $80 million F-35B Lightning II fighter: it asks for help to find it
- The Pokémon Company International has already opened its offices in Mexico City and this is the position for which you can apply right now
- This is what the Chewbacca actor really said every time his roars were heard in Star Wars
- This challenging stealth game will test your skills and you can get it for less than 200 pesos in its version for PS4
- Be careful if you receive this message on behalf of the SEPE and you are looking for employment: it is a scam that will steal your data
- The best games that cannot be bought because they have disappeared from digital stores. They left an indelible mark and now it is difficult to find them
- Will there be a second season of The Continental? The producer of the John Wick spin-off reveals the future of the series
- The Elder Scrolls 6 will not come to PlayStation: leaked Xbox document at the FTC confirms its exclusivity
- “It will be the RPG I have played the most in my life.” The poor debut of Cyberpunk 2077 has a very positive side effect for some players three years later
- The impressive Kollector’s Edition of Mortal Kombat 1 can now be obtained on Amazon Mexico for the Xbox Series X and PS5 versions
- I have played 200 hours of Starfield and I am very clear about what I would like to see in the future: vehicles, pets and much more
- The “tetraprism” of the iPhone 15 Pro Max is expensive for Apple: it will have to pay more for its availability, according to Kuo
- Alan Moore hates all the adaptations of his DC comics except one about Superman, but almost no one knows it
- The One Piece anime ends the final fight of its largest arc and confirms a record that is difficult to beat
- “It’s the film I most regret having rejected.” Arnold Schwarzenegger still regrets not starring in one of the best action cinema shows of the 90s
- This actor has had his voice ‘stolen’ by an AI after narrating the Harry Potter audiobooks. And he has used it in the middle of the actors’ strike
- It was the hottest competition this summer, but you’ll be disappointed if you want to take EA Sports FC seriously. It is impossible to make a competitive team in the Saudi league
- Starfield Hazards, Illnesses, and Injuries That Can Kill You: Icon Meanings, Types, and How to Cure Them All
- This is how to play with Ada Wong in Resident Evil 4 Remake: in-depth look at the Separate Ways DLC including changes to the story and gameplay
- One year of Microsoft 365 for all your devices has never been so cheap. And with free antivirus