The French Public Health Agency (SPF) indicated in a press release that according to its preliminary estimates, there would have been “nearly 400 additional deaths, an increase of 5.4 percent” during the August heatwave. which hit the country.
The press release published Wednesday reports the end of summer heatwave – the third of the summer – which lasted from August 11 to 26 in France, affecting 52 of the 96 departments of the metropolis.
During the 15-day period, 19 French departments were placed on red alert, the highest alert level issued by Météo France, France’s national weather forecasting service.
Some French regions experienced higher levels of excess mortality than others: the Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes region recorded 169 more deaths than it would have done in a non-heatwave period. Nouvelle-Aquitaine (which contains Bordeaux) recorded 120.
SPF reported that the equivalent of 46.3 percent of the French population lived in an area affected by the August heatwave and noted that “people aged 75 and over constituted the lowest age group more affected.”
They added that no fatal workplace accidents were reported during the heatwave.
Compared to the first and second heat waves, the third experienced a higher level of excess mortality. During the heatwave from July 7 to 13, public health authorities counted 80 more deaths than in non-heatwave periods and two fatal work accidents.
During the second heatwave, from July 17 to 26, there was “no excess mortality at the national level”.
SPF nevertheless specifies that the results are still preliminary and that the estimate of the number of excess deaths “does not reflect the entire impact of heat on health”.
Later this fall, French public health authorities are expected to publish a consolidated assessment showing the full health impacts of extreme heat and the level of exposure of the French population during the summer of 2023.
During the entire summer of 2022 – which was marked by three heatwaves – the SPF recorded 2,816 additional deaths. During the heatwaves of 2022, emergency room visits doubled.
- The better the less streamer content it is and the more it focuses on travel documentaries. I have already seen Rubius Next Level Japan, the new project of the popular youtuber
- Spotify just found a new way to make money: charging artists for “sponsored recommendations”
- You are playing Starfield wrong and that is Bethesda’s fault: an x-ray of why Starfield has been the most controversial game in recent years in the industry
- This science fiction failure cost 80 million dollars and has been completely forgotten 22 years after its terrible premiere, but it is not as bad as many think
- Square Enix has plunged in the stock market since the release of Final Fantasy XVI, losing almost $2 billion
- This Marvel series was planned to be a resounding success but they canceled it after a single episode that no one could see
- Persona 3 Reload: you can now reserve the new Remake developed by Atlus without paying a single peso on Amazon Mexico
- It is the film hit of the year and is now available to stream, less than eight weeks after its theatrical release!
- Director of One Piece live-action reveals that a scene was reshot to make creator Eiichiro Oda happy
- Last days to unleash all the power of the wildest metal in this rhythmic FPS that is leaving Xbox Game Pass: Metal Hellsinger
- 10 hours playing Mortal Kombat 1 have made it clear to me that NetherRealm has surpassed itself with more brutality than ever and a very good campaign
- Video games that divide opinions: Destiny, Cyberpunk 2077, Starfield and the titles that have caused the most debate among the gaming community during the last decade
- PlayStation announces a new State of Play. Date and time of an event that will announce news about games already presented
- How much money does Eiichiro Oda make from One Piece? Tens of millions of dollars a year for writing one of the best mangas in history
- State of Play September 2023: new broadcast announced with game news for PS5, PS VR2 and PS4; date and time for Mexico and LATAM
- If you use Adobe Reader or Adobe Acrobat, update now to fix this serious vulnerability
- A scientific study has used Age of Empires to understand how war between ants works. And the best of all is that he has achieved it
- Starfield Earth has a history so terrifying that it has awakened all my apocalyptic fears
- Stan Lee had such a bad memory that he used this trick to remember the names of Marvel characters
- James Wan gets serious about ‘Aquaman 2’, explaining the controversy with the reshoots and answering Amber Heard’s accusations: “I made it clear to her from the beginning”