The years go by and FIFA remains the undisputed king of video game sales in France. Since 2014, the football simulation published by EA Sports has dominated the rankings and 2022 has once again been a very prolific year. According to Le Figarowhich had access to the data communicated by the Union of Leisure Software Publishers (SELL), there are approximately 1.75 million copies of FIFA 23 which found a buyer among football and video game enthusiasts. It’s better than FIFA 22which had sold 1.6 million copies in 2021, and even better than the 1.3 million games sold for FIFA 21 in 2020.
Boosted by the arrival of new generation consoles (PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X), the football franchise does not seem to be experiencing any signs of slowing down. It is far ahead of another flagship video game saga, Call of Duty. The new opus of the war game from Activision, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, crossed the million sales mark, including 217,000 on PC. This is more than double the previous episode, Call of Duty Vanguard, which had barely exceeded 500,000 copies sold in 2021.
Pokémon Purple And Scarlet also had great success on Nintendo Switch. Nearly 717,000 players flocked to the two variations of the video game. Almost 10 years after its release, GTA V still appears in the top 10 most popular video games in France. Thanks to a remastering for the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X, more than 500,000 copies have been sold, including 104,000 on PC. Since its release in September 2013, 5 million copies of the Rockstar blockbuster have been sold in France. A phenomenal performance.
The 10 best-selling video games on consoles in France in 2022
- FIFA 23 (EA): 1.7 million sales
- Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 (Activision): 791,338 sales
- Pokémon Legends: Arceus (Nintendo): 589,375 sales (excluding digital)
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Nintendo): 451,254 sales (excluding digital)
- Nintendo Switch Sports (Nintendo): 432,685 sales (excluding digital)
- FIFA 22 (EA): 423,702 sales
- Pokémon Purple (Nintendo): 416,537 sales (excluding digital)
- GTA V (Rockstar): 400,953 sales
- God of War Ragnarok (Sony): 368,726 sales
- Horizon Forbidden West (Sony): 354,402 sales