BATON ROUGE, La. — A 17-year-old murder suspect who previously escaped from a Louisiana youth prison went on a rampage again Saturday with another youth suspected of murder, police said.
The two 17-year-olds accused of murder escaped from the East Baton Rouge juvenile detention center. In a press release, authorities said they were investigating the circumstances of the escape. Baton Rouge police and the U.S. Marshals Service launched a search.
One of the young people, accused of second degree murder, had already escaped on November 13. The teen and another inmate had fled as guards were returning prisoners to their cells after a fight broke out at the facility, The Advocate reported. . They were apprehended after a search which lasted more than 24 hours.
The East Baton Rouge juvenile facility has been the target of criticism due to repeated escapes and violent episodes, according to the news outlet.
In 2021, five prisoners escaped after attacking a female employee, taking her keys and locking her in a cell without a radio. Some of them also attacked staff members with makeshift knives. In February 2022, a fight involving eight teenagers left three injured.
East Baton Rouge Parish has set aside $2 million for security improvements. After the escape in early November, parish officials said those improvements were still in the planning and design stages.
gn EN headline