Elected officials from La Manche say they are disappointed with this decision which has yet to be formalized by the Calvados prefecture.
Omaha Beach is expected to host the international ceremony for the 80th anniversary of the D-Day landings in June 2024. This information, revealed by West of France last Friday, has not yet been confirmed by the Calvados prefecture.
Questioned by BFM Normandie, she indicated that she was waiting for “new developments” before formalizing the chosen location. According to our colleagues from the regional daily, the decision was taken “in the secrecy of the Élysée”. We had to choose between Omaha Beach and Utah Beach.
“We are obviously disappointed. All elected officials mobilized so that this beautiful ceremony could take place in the Channel for the 80th,” regrets Sébastien Lesné, first deputy mayor of Carentan-les-Marais, at the microphone of BFM Normandie.
The elected official recalls that the last international ceremony organized in the Channel dates back to 1984, during the 40th anniversary of the D-Day landings. “We said to ourselves that, for the 80th, it was our turn,” adds Sébastien Lesné, who recalls that his city was “a strategic node” to allow the progression of troops towards Paris.
The president of the Manche department, Jean Morin, pleaded last April for the hosting of the 80th ceremony through a letter addressed to Emmanuel Macron. In a message published on his X account (formerly Twitter), he also called on residents to mobilize on the Internet to express their desire to see the celebration take place in the department.
Last June, for the 79th anniversary, the international ceremony was organized in Ver-sur-Mer, in Calvados, in the presence of the Minister of the Armed Forces Sébastien Lecornu. For his part, the President of the Republic, Emmanuel Macron, went to the annual commemoration organized by the Ecole des Fusiliers de la Marine in Ouistreham.
Robin Dussenne with Amaury Tremblay
- Run and get this three-month Xbox Game Pass Ultimate promotion at a very affordable price
- Esto es todo lo que se está filtrando de Microsoft: nueva Xbox, lanzamiento de The Elder Scrolls VI, remaster de Fallout 3 y más
- The Canary Islands have grown tired of all their bananas being the same banana. That’s why they are blue now.
- The Bank of Spain confirms that our economy will lead growth in Europe in 2023 and 2024
- It’s time to face it, the games now come out a week earlier and more expensive than at the official launch
- This is the true crime that is sweeping Netflix: a torrid and intense miniseries with Úrsula Corberó and Quim Gutiérrez that turns the genre on its head
- Google integrates Bard everywhere in one of the biggest updates to its AI
- There’s something brewing in Titanfall 2, but what are you playing Respawn? The resurgence of the game has released a new mode and the clues go in another direction, towards Apex Legends
- It’s one of the biggest disappointments in recent years but it’s cheaper than ever and for good reason: Marvel’s Avengers will soon leave stores
- 1 in 4 Starfield players on Xbox haven’t tried why the game exists. 25% have not achieved the achievement for jumping into space for the first time
- With this Samsung SSD you will say goodbye to all your space problems: it collapses to its minimum price
- The Champions League starts: schedules and where to watch the matches of the Spanish teams
- Lords of The Fallen answers player questions: crossplay, difficulty, armor customization and more
- ‘One Piece’ breaks its own record with the fight between Kaido and Luffy: the anime reaches one of its most important moments after 10 years of preparation
- Cheap mobile phone with great autonomy: this Honor can be ideal for launching an Android for just 100 euros
- If your child does something wrong on social networks, it can be very expensive with fines of up to 10,000 euros.
- The new Redmi Buds 5 are now official: top-level active noise cancellation and a completely new design
- Keanu Reeves set this great condition to star in John Wick: Chapter 4 that was only 90% fulfilled
- The price of the HONOR X6 plummets on Amazon: one of the cheapest phones on the market now reduced
- ‘Elemental’ breaks records on Disney+: the Pixar film beats ‘The Little Mermaid’, ‘Guardians of the Galaxy 3’ and ‘Avatar 2’ to achieve the best premiere of the year on the platform