|Place: Flushing Meadows, NY Appointment: August 28-September 10|
|Blanket: Live texts and daily radio commentary on the BBC Sport website and app, BBC Radio 5 Live and 5 Sports Extra|
Iga Swiatek’s defense of the US Open title ended with an inspired performance by slugger Jelena Ostapenko in the round of 16.
Polish seed Swiatek lost 3-6 6-3 6-1 to Latvian 20th seed Ostapenko in Sunday night’s session in New York.
With his fearless and aggressive approach, Ostapenko scored 31 winners and forced Swiatek to make many mistakes.
Ostapenko, who won her only major at Roland Garros 2017, will next face sixth-seeded American Coco Gauff.
Swiatek’s 75-week streak as the women’s world number one ended in defeat, with Belarusian Aryna Sabalenka guaranteed to replace her after the US Open.
“I’m surprised my level has changed so drastically,” said Swiatek, 22.
“Usually when I play badly, I play badly at first and then I catch up or solve problems. This time it was totally the opposite.
“I don’t really know what happened with my game. I suddenly felt no control. »
Swiatek had lost all three of their previous encounters to Ostapenko, but the two hadn’t played since February 2022 – after which the Pole embarked on a transformational 37-game winning streak.
That run lifted Swiatek to the top of the WTA rankings, a spot she hadn’t since relinquished as her dominance grew.
How she could cope with the powerful strikes of Ostapenko, 26, was a key question in this intriguing match.
“I still expect a tough battle against Iga, she’s a very great and consistent player,” Ostapenko said.
“But I took the plunge. I know I had to play my game and be aggressive because that’s not what she likes. »
After falling behind early, Swiatek began to soak up the groundstrokes and quickly turned an entertaining set.
But she lost her serve again at the start of the second set and this time couldn’t save the day.
Pressed by the pace of Ostapenko’s returns, Swiatek continued to make mistakes in rallies and quickly found himself completely overwhelmed in an extraordinary deciding set.
Ostapenko notched a winning streak by taking a 5-0 lead and had the opportunity to inflict a rare 6-0 scoreline on Swiatek, who is herself notorious for winning ‘bagels’ against her opponents .
While Swiatek avoided that fate by breaking serve, Ostapenko was undeniable and deservedly secured victory with another perfect forehand winner to seal a love break.
Closing out the win, she said: “I just thought I had to play until the very last point.
“When I had a 5-0 lead he missed him more, but I thought I was playing better and not giving him a chance. »
- Capcom at TGS 2023: Dragon’s Dogma 2 shines in the presentation along with announcements of Ace Attorney, Monster Hunter and Street Fighter 6
- Mark your calendar, the first Steam sales of 2024 already have a date and it is clear that there will be plenty of offers
- From the Virgin Islands to Madrid: the move of a Colombian agricultural empire accused of financing paramilitaries
- Traditional and organic almond producers launch an SOS: “We are on our way to disappearing”
- The data that questions German energy independence from Russia
- It came to League of Legends to improve team play, but it is used to wish death on a teammate. Riot Games eliminates its most controversial ‘ping’ after just a few months
- AMLO maintains his position as the most famous streamer in Spanish: the president of Mexico surpasses Illojuan, Spreen and Xocas and shows it off in La Mañanera
- What is the origin of Creepers, the most popular creatures in the history of Minecraft
- Japan has fully entered the race to manufacture a methane space rocket: these are its plans
- Amazon Mexico already has the extraordinary collection of Pokémon Trading Card Game Classic on pre-sale and you can pay it for up to 6 MSI
- The inspiration behind ‘IT’, how Stephen King created Pennywise and wrote the great American horror novel
- 3,000 electric cars charged in one day: China’s new megastation offers clues to the future
- Anime fall season 2023: Spy X Family, Shingeki no Kyojin, Tate no Yuusha… Everything you need to know about the most anticipated fall premieres
- Before the new Wolfenstein, this game made me realize that the developers at MachineGames are geniuses. The Darkness
- So you can get this Elite Trainer Box Pokémon TCG with an impressive discount that leaves its price at less than 700 pesos
- This excellent Korean superhero series is sweeping Disney+, becoming its ‘Squid Game’
- The science fiction movie that made you chew your mind for years with one scene. Now you can see it understanding its ending on HBO Max: Origin
- RazerCon 2023 summary and announcements with the imminent Huntsman keyboards and its innovative switch
- In this colorful roguelike you will have to escape from purgatory trying to make a hole in one: Cursed to Golf awaits you on PS Plus
- You may not remember, but GTA has a subscription service. Now Rockstar wants to give it a boost by giving all its members the Definitive Edition games