Once the tutelary figure of the original PlayStation, Wipeout returns to PS4 with an episode which compiles the PS3 opus from 2008 and that of the Vita released 4 years later. For surprises, we’ll come back, but the soup is so good that it would be criminal not to refill it…
It is therefore difficult to give a satisfied integral when we know in advance that the game before our eyes, as glorious as it is, does not bring much more than we already know. However, the facts are there: Wipeout 2048but above all “ HD » as well as its extension “ Fury » delivered a few years ago concentrated pleasure based on hyperspeed, in futuristic races where video game ecstasy was only earned after laborious hours of play. With this Omega Collection This particular gameplay remains the common thread that will keep players fed up with the popcorn arcade school away. For the rest, the game already enjoyed a plastic beauty which shines even more here, especially when activating the winning PS4 Pro 4K HDR combo, even if the sometimes crude backgrounds contrast with the infinite care given to the ships, combined with that exhilarating feeling of speed.
Humility is not an empty word in Wipeout
Addition of games obliges, the content is also to match with a rich campaign, varied in its events, then a mode Racebox which allows you to choose between having fun, getting frustrated, and above all complaining, in à la carte events that some will judge as a proposition caressing the video game holy grail. Let’s focus, for example, on Zone mode and its cult trophy “Zone Zeus” which put an entire generation of players to the test. Happiness in a video game comes down here to this simple pleasure, which consists of managing a ship which gradually accelerates and will inexorably end up crashing against the rails of a circuit which takes on psyche colors for the occasion. Humility is not an empty word in Wipeout. Neither does epilepsy.
Since there is unfortunately not much to say about the substantive additions of this compilation, other than a few additional musical tracks, let us remind newcomers that the experience Wipeout, as harsh as it is in certain circumstances, can also be softened by activating the piloting assistance which consequently softens the gameplay, but allows you to act “like the adults”. The Dualshock 4 controller, thanks to its slightly larger joystick and its longer-travel triggers, also provides increased precision which will delight demanding players.
A sound design of rare power in a video game
Speaking of requirements, it is good to point out that the technical part, already very solid on PS3 (with native 1080p in 60FPS, a small miracle at the time), becomes totally impeccable on PS4. Whether solo, split screen or online, no drop in frame rate is not to be reported. Finally, it’s impossible not to mention this sound design of rare power in a video game, which skillfully mixes crazy electro sounds and sound effects with magnetic coldness. If these few paragraphs were not enough, the price of Wipeout Omega Collection set at 40 euros in version retail will convince you.
- A graphic festival
- Impeccable technique
- Stunning soundscape
- A gameplay to tame
- Big content
- The haters will cry
- A “simple” remaster
- Should we try VR?
While it is normal to regret the absence of an original game, the qualities of this compiled and remastered Wipeout are immense. Sleek aesthetics, demanding gameplay with enormous room for progression, and, a rare feeling, the sensation of diving into a universe that magnifies everything it touches. Wipeout, or the elite of futuristic racing.
- “The best thing I’ve seen in a long time”: Cliff Bleszinski, creator of Gears of War, reveals what he likes most about Starfield
- China has not forgotten the metaverse: it wants to have five companies with “global influence” by 2025
- Take advantage of irresistible offers on more than 100 Mexican games at the Steam Mexican Entertainment System event
- Apple Watch Series 9 and Apple Watch Ultra 2, first impressions: power inside, precision outside
- Cyberpunk 2077: CD Projekt warns PC players that the next update may overload their processors
- Death Stranding is coming to iPhone 15 Pro: Hideo Kojima’s game will also run natively on the new Apple phone
- Dragon Ball Z: this is one of the biggest mysteries of the entire series, it has to do with Bardock and Akira Toriyama has not yet explained it
- This is how the cameras of the iPhone 15, iPhone 15 Pro and iPhone 15 Pro Max evolve compared to those of the previous generation
- iPhone 15 Pro and iPhone 15 Pro Max, first impressions: the new definition of Premium
- This incredible Pokémon toy with Pikachu and the three Kanto starters has a clearance price on Amazon Mexico
- Andorra backs down on the requirement to know Catalan to reside there, the only ones who are exempt from the exam are youtubers and streamers
- The cameras of the iPhone 15, Plus, Pro and Pro Max, explained: up to seven different focal lengths to lead in versatility
- This is the remake of the “original” Pirates of the Caribbean: an extremely entertaining adventure film that was a legendary flop
- Reseña de EA Sports Madden NFL 24: el tradicional juego de la NFL de Electronic Arts está de regreso, la pregunta es si anota un TD o sólo falla un gol de campo
- iPhone 15 and iPhone 15 Plus, first impressions from Apple Park: forceful update
- This AI shows what Demon Slayer characters would be like in the flesh, but the results are chilling
- Collective agreements soar and unblock salary increases for 2.5 million workers
- The civil servants’ mutual society recognizes that it has 3% of its 294 properties “illegally occupied”
- ‘Resident Evil Village’, ‘Assassin’s Creed Mirage’ and other AAA games are coming to the iPhone: here’s what we know
- For these things Shenmue was ahead of its time: the Dreamcast exclusive allowed you to choose the real climate of Yokosuka