Poco F1 gets Android 10 with MIUI 11.
Before the restart with new smartphones, the Xiaomi subsidiary Poco supplies a device from the past. So far, however, there has only been one single Android smartphone from Poco. Xiaomi is now giving the well-known Poco F1 or Pocophone F1 the system update with Android 10 on board. And because the rest of the Xiaomi firmware will also come along, owners of the Poco F1 will of course have the newer MIUI 11. The international rollout of the new update has probably started in the last few days, so the corresponding message should appear on your devices soon. Below are more details on what’s new in Android 10.
Official changelog in 10 points
Simpler, smarter and more helpful
- The Smart Response feature now suggests possible actions. So when someone sends you a message with an address or a YouTube video, you’ll be asked if you want to get directions to that address on Google Maps or open the video on YouTube—all without the hassle of copying and pasting. Smart Reply now works on all your favorite messaging apps.
- Come to the dark side… with the dark theme. You can activate the dark theme for your entire smartphone or only for specific apps such as Chrome, Photos and Calendar. This protects your eyes and your battery.
- In the system settings you can activate the new gesture control and optimize your use of larger edge-to-edge displays. With simple swipe gestures, you can go back, bring up the home screen, and switch between apps with such ease that you certainly won’t miss visible buttons.
- Just a tap of your finger and the Auto Subtitles feature subtitles videos, podcasts and voice messages – automatically and in every app, even your own recordings. Auto Subtitles will be available later this fall (first on Pixel phones) (in English only first).
New privacy and security features for even more control
- In the settings you can choose to only share your location data with apps you are currently using. You’ll also get a notification if an app you’re not currently using accesses your location data. So you can actively decide whether you want to share your location or not.
- There is a new privacy section in the settings. There you have access to important settings such as “Web & App Activity” and “Advertising Settings”.
- With Google Play system updates, you get important security and privacy updates right on your smartphone, just like your apps update in the background. So you always get corrections immediately and don’t have to wait for the next operating system update.
Finding the right balance for you and your family
- Android 10 gives you even more control over how and when you receive notifications. If you set notifications to silent, they won’t make any sounds or appear on your lock screen. That way, you only get notifications when you want them.
- Family Link is now available directly in Digital Wellbeing settings on any device running Android 9 or 10. Parents can use it to set rules such as daily screen time limits, device bedtime, time limits for specific apps and more for their children’s device usage. You can also check the apps that your kids want to install on their devices as well as their usage.
- You want to concentrate on something, but don’t want to switch off your smartphone completely? With the new focus mode, you can choose the apps that you find most distracting – like email or messages – and mute them until you turn focus mode off again. Join the trial program to try the feature now.