Pokémon Go Tyrogue is one of the many new Baby Pokémon added in the new Pokémon Go Gen 2 Johto update.
Like Magby, Pichu, Smoochum, and the other babies, Tyrogue evolves into a different and better-known Pokémon – but in Tyrogue’s case, it’s not linear, but three different evolutions are possible. One of them is another new Gen 2 Pokémon: Hitmontop.
At first glance, it might look like the different evolutions of Pokémon Go Eevee, but the way you go from Tyrogue to Hitmonchan, Hitmonlee, or Hitmontop works a little differently. You also need a good dose of luck.
You must first get a Tyrogue by hatching a 5 km egg. Keep in mind that Pokémon Gen 2 can only appear in Pokémon Go Eggs you collected after the Johto Gen 2 update.
How Tyrogue evolves in Hitmontop, Hitmonlee and Hitmonchan
Once you have a Tyrogue, its evolution depends on its stats:
- If the attack is greater than all other stats, Tyrogue evolves into Hitmonlee
- If defense is higher than all other stats, Tyrogue evolves into Hitmonchan
- If Stamina / HP is higher than all other stats, Tyrogue evolves into Hitmontop
If the statistics have a shared first place, the evolution will be random. So if Attack and Defense are both 11, the game will randomly choose Hitmonlee or Hitmonchan.
Where to find Tyrogue stats
You can uncover your Tyrogue’s (or IV’s) hidden stats in two different ways. The first is to use the in-game rating tool. You use it by viewing your Pokémon and selecting the menu icon to the right. Your team leader will tell you more about the potential of the Pokémon in question and whether its attack, defense or endurance stats are the most impressive. This statistic is the highest.
The Pokémon Go Johto Throwback Challenge 2020 has arrived. Did you know that you now also have Pokémon Go Trading, which you can use to trade Pokémon with friends? Or do you need more Pokemon Go tips and tricks? Like the new Pokémon Go research quests to catch the Pokémon Go Mew. Do you already know all about Pokémon Go Raids and Pokémon Go Gyms? Also keep in mind that you can hatch Pokémon Go eggs or use a Pokémon Go card to catch the legendary Pokémon Go and Pokémon Pokémon Go Gen 3 from all the different types of Pokémon Go.
What else should you know about Tyrogue, Hitmontop, Hitmonlee and Hitmonchan
- Unfortunately, it seems strongly that your Tyrogue’s stats depend entirely on fate. Pokémon that hatch from eggs are more likely to have good IV stats than Pokémon you catch in the wild, but whose stat is higher (Attack, Defense, or Stamina) is completely random. So it’s about continuing to collect Tyrogues until you have the evolution you want.
- If you are having trouble with this method, keep in mind that you can also catch Hitmontop, Hitmonlee, and Hitmonchan in the wild according to Reddit. They are very rare, so if you have a chance to hatch a Tyrogue with the right stats, you shouldn’t miss it.
- As of the Johto Gen 2 update, Hitmontop, Hitmonlee, and Hitmonchan Candy are now called Tyrogue Candy. This gives Candy, like all the other Candies, the name of the first stage of evolution.
- You need 25 candies to evolve the Tyrogue.
- If you put one of these Pokémon as Pokémon Buddy, you will get Candy every 5 km.
- If you think these Fighting Pokémon are perfect for taking over a gym, you’re sadly wrong. As of this writing, Hitmonlee’s offense is the 25th highest in the game. Hitmontop ranks 22nd in defense and Hitmonchan in defense.
- If you go to the gym with these Pokémon, keep in mind that they are weak against Flying, Psychic, and Fairy Pokémon.
- The way these three Pokémon evolve from Tyrogue isn’t entirely different from normal Pokémon games. To progress in Hitmonlee, attack must be greater than defense. For Hitmonchan, defense must be greater than attack. And for Hitmontop, the two statistics must be the same.
Do you want to know more? Then start with our Pokémon Go tips and tricks – the great guide for more tips.