Chris Early, an executive at Ubisoft, has criticized Steam’s business model in an interview with The New York Times.

Early says Valve’s business model is “unrealistic” and impractical in its current state.

“The business model they currently have is unrealistic. It doesn’t reflect where the world is today in video game distribution,” he said.

Although it is not clear what exactly Early refers to, it is likely that he refers to that 30% commission that Steam remains to publish on its platform. The remaining 70% goes to developers and publishers, although currently the Epic Games Store offers 88%. The 70-30 split is quite common in the world of digital content, be it on PlayStation, Xbox, Apple, Google or other stores.

  Ancestors: The Humankind Odyssey gameplay shows the first 20 minutes

Based on your feedback, it is now better understood why Ubisoft did not release The Division 2 on Valve’s platform, one of its biggest games of 2019, and instead decided to publish it on Epic’s (in addition to its own. , Uplay, where you don’t have to pay any commission). The company will not publish there Ghost Recon Breakpoint, its next release, either.

Tim Sweeney, CEO of Epic, is also mentioned in the article, explaining that video game stores are known for “extracting a huge portion of the industry’s profits.”

Also appears Tommy Refenes, developer of Super Meat Boy. According to Refenes, the video game business model needs better systems to buy and sell games. “The only way to do this is if companies with lots of money innovate and try to outperform each other,” he says.

  Lucasfilm and Ubisoft confirm open world without EA

Epic, for its part, has stated on occasion that it will change its policy of acquisition of exclusives if Valve reduces the commission that it takes from its Steam games. We live in a society.