Now that Half-Life: Alyx has been released, Valve is no longer so secretive.
A big milestone for Valve was the release of Half-Life: Alyx in March. They haven’t served games like this and that much in a long time, and they’ve finally been able to return to one of the most respected franchises in the gaming industry. They had previously indicated that they would be happy to work on a non-VR sequel as well, and this was reiterated.
Continuing his tradition, Geoff Keighley has released an interactive documentary: Half-Life: Alyx – Final Hours recounts the last ten years of Valve in 15 chapters, with a bunch of exclusive visuals and audio, minigames, and videos. From this, we learned that the team has been working on at least 5 Half-Life games since Half-Life 2: Episode 2 was released, and of course Half-Life 3 was among them, but that only lasted a year.
Half-Life 3 would have drawn game elements from Left 4 Dead, randomly generated track elements and missions, but at some points the story would have gone further in a predetermined way. They wanted to use the Source 2 engine, which was still half-finished at the time, and the project was mowed sometime around 2014.
- the Left 4 Dead 3, which would have taken us to Morocco and killed thousands of zombies in an open world (also failed due to the incompleteness of Source 2);
- one RPG, which was drawn from The Elder Scrolls, Dark Souls, and Monster Hunter (existed only at the concept level);
- is a lightweight, voxel-based game ARTI called the model of Minecraft, which was then tried to be implemented as a VR game, but it did not become anything;
- one SimTrek VR game from the Kerbal Space Program team;
- one Half-Life VR shooter, which they wanted to make part of The Lab, but wasn’t done by the time they wanted to release The Labet;
- the Borealis a Half-Life VR project called Marc Laidlaw that would have taken us on the time travel ship;
- one Hot dog but a project related to the Left 4 Dead series;
- and a VR headset, the Vader, which they could not have put on the market for less than $ 5,000, so they preferred to cancel it as well.
Most of the team want a non-VR Half-Life game to be their next project, but are afraid to cut into it. A super-secret game has been made since 2018, nothing is known about it. If you’re interested in Valve’s present and recent, be sure to get the interactive documentary from the link above!
- Developer: Valve
- Publisher: Valve
- Platform: PC
- Style: FPS
- Appearance: 03/23/2020
Half-Life: Alyx is a VR game whose story takes place between the events of Half-Life and Half-Life 2, and we can control Alyx Vance in it, who, with the help of his father, tries to build a resistance against the invading Combine.