Ever since the internet became one of the main sources of information and entertainment people have been struggling on how to properly protect their private data. When connected to the public internet you share the same connection with other people, which can leave you vulnerable at a certain point.
Online security is an important part of our internet experience
One of the most common threats online is cybercriminals, such as hackers, scammers or phishers. By collecting your private data and being able to track you via your IP address, these hackers can seriously endanger your privacy of personal information. So lately, people have started using VPN – software that provides adequate protection to the user while online. In this article, we will talk about how a VPN can protect your private data.
What is VPN and how can it protect your private data
VPN or Virtual Private Network is an essential internet tool that provides the user with adequate protection and online anonymity. There are many features that this server provides and some of the main are:
- Online anonymity – Many websites can track their visitors using cookies. These cookies are used to collect the data of the user and adjust the marketing aspect of the website to suit the user needs. Your real IP address pinpoints the exact geographical location you are in and if this falls into wrong hands there can be consequences. VPN hides the real IP address of the user and replaces it with a virtual one, which makes it impossible for anyone to track down where the connection is coming from
- Unblocking content – Many websites and streaming platforms bound the user to be in a certain geographical location to view the content they offer. While using VPN you can easily bypass all of these blocks, as well as internet censorships (which are usually done by governments), to view the content you desire without limitations.
- Internet traffic encryption – By using strong encryption protocols VPN protects your private data from any third-party viewers. This protocol adds an extra layer of security for the user as the internet traffic being sent from the user device will be impossible to breach through. This is one of the main features of VPN and the sole reason it increases the privacy of the user while online.
Once you enter a website, your real IP address will automatically send the information about where you are located and this is used to push advertisements that will suit your needs. Although this seems like a harmful thing some people view it as an invasion of privacy. However, once you have connected to a VPN it changes the IP address and thus protects the user from any forms of privacy invasion.
Once the user is connected to VPN it can safely browse the internet without fearing about any data being leaked or abused. VPN offers the client a list of servers from all around the world to choose from, allowing the user to have control over where he wants to be connected to. This is a great feature for anyone who has to work and travel, making it easier to gain access to different websites.
What to look for in a VPN
There are many VPN providers out there who offer their clients services which regard their online privacy. Internet privacy is an important factor in our time and age, as the usage of the internet on a daily basis keeps increasing. Therefore, as you will encounter many different VPN providers, you should choose the one that suits your needs the best. Doing a thorough research and finding out which options suit you the best will have the best outcome. However, we list some of the main features a good VPN provider should have:
- Internet connection speed
- Amount of features for the subscription price
- High quality encrypting protocols
- 24/7 available customer service
- Transparent and trustworthy user policies
- No-log or low-log policy
Yes, VPN can protect your private data and keep it outside of reach from many third-parties roaming the internet. However, opting for the one that offers you the best features is important. Do the research, see what other providers are offering for their services and this will help you determine what the average price for the service is.
Something worth noting is that you should always try to subscribe to a provider that offers a no-log policy because this means that once the user has disconnected from the server all of the information (like internet, download and browsing history) will be deleted immediately. The point of a VPN is to maximize the user privacy online and a VPN who collects your data when you are using it is doing the opposite of that. VPN can also be used to increase online privacy on social media as well.
Is VPN crucial for internet privacy?
Well, yes. You being online can leave you vulnerable to cybercriminals and tracking or surveillance methods. Tracking and surveillance is usually done by the government and the ISP (Internet Service Provider). This surveillance is usually done to prevent any illegal activities online on time. However, this does not mean that they do not invade our privacy. That is why VPN is crucial. VPN protects your private data while you are online and no one can track or hack you. It is completely legal and its main purpose is found in many business models. Many companies use VPN to allow workers remote-access working which allows them to work freely without being bound to a geographical location.